Problem with Designer Twist from PSI

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fester

I have had this happen on the last 3 Designer Twist pens (PSI Part # PKMONT) that I have built. When seating the transmission the instructions say to scribe a line 13/16ths from the chrome end, press the brass end of the mechanism first, leaving 13/16ths exposed. When I do this the pen will not work, it appears the transmission is inserted too far into the lower blank. After much trial and error I finally got the transmission where it works correctly and I noticed this morning by lining up another transmission that there is an indent in the transmission, this is where the inserted transmission is inserted to on the pen I built.

Did the instructions and or transmission change and I didn't notice it? I now know where to stop, but it took me 3 pens to figure it out.

Anyone have any info that I may have missed on these?

Thanks,

Fester

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jbostian

When I press in the transmission I have about 13/16ths of the transmission exposed. I don't actually measure mine so I am not sure exactly how much of the transmission is exposed. I just kind of eye it when I press it in then keep putting in the refill and checking to see how far the tip comes out when I twist the transmission. As far as I know the transmission and instructions haven't changed. Just a thought, but is it possible you used the shorter tube for the lower barrel? You wouldn't have to press the transmission as far if you used the shorter tube for the lower barrel.

Jamie

zig613

Fester...

I have built a number of the PSI euro-designer kits and have always use the 13/16" as a rule of thumb. It was always worked for me. I always do a test fit with the refill before I press the transmission in that last 1/8".

Wade

Fester

Just a thought, but is it possible you used the shorter tube for the lower barrel? You wouldn't have to press the transmission as far if you used the shorter tube for the lower barrel.

Jamie

You know, I think I better go back and measure those barrels again and make sure.... that might be what it is. Ooops! I guess I shouldn't turn pens when I have a migraine :-(

gwisher

You know, I think I better go back and measure those barrels again and make sure.... that might be what it is. Ooops! I guess I shouldn't turn pens when I have a migraine :-(

I have done that myself, especially when I start turning after an entire day with inmates=migraine :eek: I do like the kits from woodturningz better than those from Rockler. The Rockler transmissions don't seem to fit as good.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
You guys MAY want to make a "stop block" for cross style pens. Just cut a piece of wood to the length from the end of the pen "nib" to the top of the tranny. This length will never change, I have used my block for years.

Switching the top and bottom tube will, unfortunately, happen!!!

thewishman

You guys MAY want to make a "stop block" for cross style pens. Just cut a piece of wood to the length from the end of the pen "nib" to the top of the tranny. This length will never change, I have used my block for years.

Will stop blocks be offered in your web store in the future? I'd like an Ancient Mars stop block, please.

I press the transmission on all Europeans on a trial and error basis... I know the approximate distance in, the check the refill, press, check, etc. until I'm happy with the looks and extension of the writing tip.

Top Bottom