Problem with Cross Refill

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Alzey

One of my customers bought a Cross Brand refill for her pen. The refill does not extend far enough though the nib for the transmission to lock. After a little troubleshooting, I determined that the main barrel of the refill will not fit into the internal ridges of the nib. So out with the calipers and here are the results.

Kit Refill -- .1155
Private Reserve -- .1145
Cross Brand - Fine 0810 -- .1205

So while writing this message, I pulled out all my kits and tested tips. All my "slimline" kits work with the Cross Brand Refill. This includes kits from Freedom Pen Project, Exotic, Wood-n-Whimies, and PSI. It appears the kits I am having issues with are the Anelli Twist Pen Kits from WnW. This issues is only with the chrome and Gun Metal plating. The Gold metal kits work fine.

This will be an easy fix. Just pop off the tip and clean out the nib with a drill bit.

This not to be a meant to be a slight against any vendor. I will still be purchasing the Anelli Kit as I and many of my customers prefer this kit over the fancy slims. This is to get people thinking about how some refill kits may be an issue.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Alzey

Its not at the very tip. I can insert the refill the other direction and goes all the way in. Its the diameter of ink reservoir. So it is binding up about 5/16 in from the tip.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
The difference in size of refill is interesting.

In the past month or two, someone posted about the refill "swaying" in the pen while it was being used to write.

Kit Refill -- .1155
Private Reserve -- .1145

Could this difference be the reason?

Just a thought,
Ed

Alzey

Here is a 3 part Picture.

• Top left is Cross kit max extend out of the nib
  • Top right is Cross kit Inserted backwards though nib
  • Bottom is Cross Refill and Kit Refill with a reference mark for measurement

Attachments

• Cross-Issue.jpg
    Cross-Issue.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 810

Alzey

The difference in size of refill is interesting.

In the past month or two, someone posted about the refill "swaying" in the pen while it was being used to write.

Kit Refill -- .1155
Private Reserve -- .1145

Could this difference be the reason?

Just a thought,
Ed

I think that could cause the issue if the seat in the nib was loose enough that a thinner refill would float around.

Rangertrek

This thread was timely as I was having an issue with my person pen and a new refill that did not extend out the nib. I have not had time to do an investigation on the issue. This pretty much answered my questions. Thanks.

Top Bottom