Problem with Classic American Kits

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jedgerton

All,

I've been away for awhile and I'm starting back up with pen making. A friend asked me to make some pens for him with what Woodcraft calls the classic american pen kit but I've run into a problem. The top section is so loose on the transmission that it just slips and doesn't operate the transmission.

The pen kits with which I'm having this issue are new to me in that the center band does not require a wooden tendon. The center band fits directly onto the brass tube so per the instructions, I measured up 1/8" and turned the material down to the brass tube. This all works just fine. I only mention it to let you know the kind of kit I'm using.

I also used a kit in satin nickel that is of the old school design with respect to the center band in that you leave a wooden tendon onto which to glue the center band. That kit works just fine.

Any thoughts on what I'm doing wrong or how to rectify this situation? As of now, the top section is so loose, it virtually falls off.

John

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Sabaharr

Sounds like they may have slipped the wrong tube in the kit. If I were keeping the pen I would wrap a piece of scotch tape around the transmission until it grips. Electrical tape if it is REALLY lose. your solution will lie in either building up the transmission exterior diameter, shrinking the upper section inner diameter, or scrap the part and make another one. But first test fit the tube to the transmission on the part you are saving.

hilltopper46

The last step of the assembly instructions reads thusly:

If the pen top has not been secured to the bottom, unthread the Finial (K) leaving approximately 1/16" gap and press again until the Finial is flush. This action will further seat the Finial Clip Bushing (I) and engage the Twist Mechanism (F).

I think Mr Vic is correct and this is Woodcraft's solution.

Paul in OKC

Done tons of this style pen over the years. Like said above, you push the top and bottom together that last little bit. It won't be much, but it is what drives the tranny.
My biggest issue when doing these was the refill not fitting through the hole in the finial, especially on chrome kits. Always had to use a small drill bit to clean it out.

Last edited:

jedgerton

OK guys, as usual, you nailed it. The short form of your advice could have been "read the directions dummy" and that would have been warranted.

Thanks again for the great advice I've learned to count on over the years! Happy Thanksgiving!

Top Bottom