Problem with Baracuda Chuck

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rangertrek

A problem had developed with my Barracuda Chuck. It appears to have a wobble when mounted on the lathe. I put on my collect chuck, and no problem. I was turning a jam chuck for a bowl and kept getting a vibration in the wood. Had this chuck for about a year and just noticed this.
Any ideas on this?
Video should show what I am seeing.
Thanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrcjaOvtBzo

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
First thing would be to ensure your spindle threads and the threads on the chuck are spotless and clean.
I always use a soft brass brush to clean the threads fully.
Also check that there is no dirt or dust on the flat section of the spindle that the chuck rests against.

Andrew

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
I just watched it a couple of times.. and the last time I covered the
chuck with a piece of paper so the moving chuck wouldn't influence
what I saw.

The lathe spindle is not moving, but the fitting on the chuck IS moving.
So if it's an adapter, that's likely where the problem is. If not, you'll probably
need to toss the chuck.

I don't have the same chuck (different Baracuda) but I thought the back
of that chuck was flat. This has something coming out, perhaps a thread
adapter. I'd start by pulling the adapter and cleaning as Andrew mentioned.
And if there's a set screw to hold it together, I'd check that, too. It's not
likely that the chuck would become deformed in that way..

If it turns out that the set screw has worn into the threads and is now causing
the wobble somehow, perhaps a washer/spacer on the adapter would move the
chuck out far enough to tighten the set screw in a different spot on the adapter?
(or maybe a new set screw?)

Last edited:

Rangertrek

Thanks Charlie for your comments. This is a Barracuda II chuck, no adapter, no set screw, screws straight on the lathe MT2 stock. There is a nylon washer between the back of the chuck and the lathe. Threads on both are clean, no debris.

I checked the lathe spindle with a run out gauge, not really a problem there. Do you think the threads and chuck are just out of alignment?

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Thanks Charlie for your comments. This is a Barracuda II chuck, no adapter, no set screw, screws straight on the lathe MT2 stock. There is a nylon washer between the back of the chuck and the lathe. Threads on both are clean, no debris.

I checked the lathe spindle with a run out gauge, not really a problem there. Do you think the threads and chuck are just out of alignment?
If it has done this since the day of purchase, yes. If it is a "new" problem after being fine for awhile I dunno. in the video it did seem to be the "whole thing" not just any working parts, so the threading seems logical. Might pull the bushing and try without to be sure it is truly flat.

ldb2000

Have you tried removing the nylon washer ? It could be that the washer has deformed due to a catch or something that caused the chuck to shift and flatten one part of the washer a little .

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
I looked at the video again and (not having this chuck myself) it still
looks to me like some sort of adapter, but it might be an integral part of
the chuck.
In the video, it looks like a smaller chrome ring sticking out the back of
the chuck, wedged up against the rounded collar of the spindle. Is that
part of the chuck itself? Or is it removable? That's where my brain is
telling me to look, but as was also mentioned, the nylon washer could
also be deformed enough to cause the chuck to cant at a slight angle.

i have a G3 chuck with that same ring on the back, and it is a spindle
adapter to match the thread on my lathe. Sticks out about 7/16ths. The
chuck itself (with no adapter) will lay flat on the table, not sticking up
at all. Same with my Barracuda .. it will lay flat. (but that chuck matches
the thread on my lathe, so no adapter was necessary)

That thread adapter looks just like what I'm seeing in the video.. but
like I said, I don't have that exact same chuck.

Wildman

Have you ever dropped the chuck?

Have you ever used a lot of hand or tool force to tighten or loosen chuck on the lathe?

Could be reason chuck appears to wobble, chuck might still be okay.

Dull tools, slow/high speed can cause vibration too.

KenV

Walked out and looked at mine --

There is a clip ring in the back that holds the pieces together --- take it off and look in the back for the clip or something broken. There are not very many moving parts in that chuck.

My guess is that you lost the clip and need to stop turning the chuck.

Rangertrek

Thanks for all your help with this problem. Wish I knew more about lathe chucks. Getting back on a few questions above. I have not dropped the chuck and everything appears to be fine on the back side. The clip ring is in place and in good shape. Not used hard force to remove chuck, generally just by hand.
I don't know enough about the chuck to tell if there is an adapter on the back. It all looks like one piece to me. No details on chuck parts in the product info. And of course, it went out of warrant in December. :)

ldb2000

I have the BC2 chuck and the part that Jon thinks is an adapter is actually part of the body , it does stick out past the outer skirt of the chuck . Again , have you removed the nylon washer that you have between the chuck and the spindle ? The video shows the spindle mount wobbling but not the spindle and the only part between them is the nylon washer .

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
it is not an adapter it is part of the chuck, I would as I said pull the bushing(washer) off and try it. if that does not help, chek both the threads on the spindle and on the chuck for damage, Did it just start happening? I assume so if it is out of warranty. I have had mine for years no problems so not sure what to tell you other than what I did.

KenV

the video I am watching shows the ghost image about the same size at the back of the chuck and the front of the chuck. That suggests to me that the chuck is not "canted" but rather that somthing is laterally off center. There is minimal distortion at the threaded mount -- and that can be because it is a hex shaped fixture for a wrench.

Removing the clip is the disassembly process and I am thinking someting is broken in the body.

Parts may be available for the chuck, but a new body assembly may be as costly as a bare chuck

JL-Turns

OK it's 1am and I just had to go down to the basement and look at my BC2. I could get the same wobble if I stuck a small shaving between the chuck and spindle. I don't have a nylon washer nor does instruction show one must have come with your lathe. I also think the washer is at fault. Can you mount the chuck without the washer or try a faceplate if you have one. This may prove the washer is compressed on one side.

KenV

James -- hope for his sake it is that simple. I use those nylon rings and they do not compress on one side without some great unusual event -- such as the two pound hammer blows. And just a single flat spot is not going to change the bedding angle of the chuck against the spindle shoulder.

Worst case I am concerned about is the body becoming free from the spindle attachment threads and taking a flying separation hurting someone.

P.S. Sounds like you have a lot of slop in the threading. Keep an eye on the runout of the chuck.

ldb2000

Ken , if you put a piece of paper against your screen to block the view of the body of the chuck and just look at the junction between the spindle and the chuck threaded portion you can clearly see there is a wobble in the part of the chuck that is against the washer but there is no wobble in the spindle .

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
This washer debate should be easy to end, take the dang thing off and try it without. I a washer with mine but it is cutt fromm a a liter pop bottle, thin so it cant really change anything but keeps the chuck "removable".

Rangertrek

Chuck Update

Ok, after all the helpful comments and ideas, I jumped into uncharted territory. I took the chuck apart and cleaned everything. I did find a small piece of acrylic in the internal mechanism and managed to put everything back together. :) At least it does work a little smoother now.

I think the problem is in the threads shaft (not and adapter) which is part of the chuck body. I ran it without the washer, same problem. I put on my collet chuck, no wobble. I put on my drill chuck, no problem.

Maybe the problem was there all along and I was too new to the lathe to see the issue. Now with some experience behind me, I am noticing the problem. I have been trying to learn bowl turning and this is when the issues started.

Thanks for all the help. I will take the chuck to my next IAP local meeting and see how it runs on another lathe and then maybe send it back or get a replacement body.:eek:

Attachments

• chuck2.JPG
    chuck2.JPG
    72.8 KB · Views: 114
  • chuck3.JPG
    chuck3.JPG
    74.3 KB · Views: 101

Rangertrek

Last edited:

Mac

Ok, after all the helpful comments and ideas, I jumped into uncharted territory. I took the chuck apart and cleaned everything. I did find a small piece of acrylic in the internal mechanism and managed to put everything back together. :) At least it does work a little smoother now.

I think the problem is in the threads shaft (not and adapter) which is part of the chuck body. I ran it without the washer, same problem. I put on my collet chuck, no wobble. I put on my drill chuck, no problem.

Maybe the problem was there all along and I was too new to the lathe to see the issue. Now with some experience behind me, I am noticing the problem. I have been trying to learn bowl turning and this is when the issues started.

Thanks for all the help. I will take the chuck to my next IAP local meeting and see how it runs on another lathe and then maybe send it back or get a replacement body.:eek:

John, I have a few bc2 chucks, 3 to be exact. If you can't get anywhere with fixing it. I will sell you a body for what I have in one. $100.00. I will even let you pick the body you want.
Mac

KenV

John -- thanks for checking the internal part of the chuck. Large pieces of flying metal is a bad thing -- and I was concerned. There is a lot of wobble based on the ghost image.

Rangertrek

Mac, I may take you up on the chuck body offer. PSI has a body for $140.
I'll bring mine to the next meeting so you can also have a look at it.

It's actually fun turning a bowl with a wobble.:cool:

Top Bottom