Princess help

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

pitt100

Just finished my first pen, a Princess pen. Probably should have taken the advice and started with something easier but everything went fairly well. I cracked the acrylic stone when inserting the center band - no big deal - not noticeable and I'm giving it as a gift in the family. But my biggest concern is that the tip sticks out of the end a 16th of an inch or so. I don't see a way to correct this with this type of pen. The twist mechanism goes into the top part of the pen. What did I do? Trim one of the barrels a tad too much? Any help would be appreciated. Nonetheless the pen is beautiful when finished.

Thanks,

Pitt

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

I made a total of 5 to get two that either didn't crack the Corian or there was not some issue with the refill. I just bought 5 sets of replacement tubes from Rockler (PSI).

My tubes were clean inside and my barrels were minimally trimmed. My first and 5th came out fine. So I have 3 to repair. I don't know if it is me or the kit (or both). I will let you know when I get to re-making them.

jsolie

... But my biggest concern is that the tip sticks out of the end a 16th of an inch or so. I don't see a way to correct this with this type of pen. The twist mechanism goes into the top part of the pen. What did I do? Trim one of the barrels a tad too much? Any help would be appreciated. Nonetheless the pen is beautiful when finished.

First, welcome to IAP!

I'm thinking that you probably trimmed the lower barrel a bit too much. I've had that happen and it's unfortunate. If the pen took a Cross-type refill, you might be able to adjust the transmission back a little bit.

campzeke

I have made several Princess pens and have not an issue with cracking. All of the Princess pens I made have been either acrylic or inlace. Before pressing any parts into a finished blank I use a counter sink bit twisted in the end by hand to chamfer the end of the tube and allow the parts to press together easier. If the tip of the cartridge is sticking out the end of the pen when retracted, you trimmed the lower section too short.

Attachments

• IMG_4449.jpg
    IMG_4449.jpg
    201.7 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_4338.jpg
    IMG_4338.jpg
    243 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:

qquake

I've only ever made one, but didn't have any problems. If you're saying that the refill tip only sticks out 1/16", then that tells me either the lower tube is too long, or you didn't trim it enough. Unfortunately, the only way I know of to fix it is to disassemble the lower body, and trim it some more. Maybe someone else will have a better idea.

Attachments

• 074.JPG
    074.JPG
    157.7 KB · Views: 105
  • 080.jpg
    080.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 117

TonyL

As silly as this suggestion seems, and even though they are the same length, try a Schmidt 9000 refill. I have found the they sit slightly lower in the mechanism. It may work with a 900 refill as well. It may have something to do with the shape/contour of the top plastic section of the refill. As long as the refill is completely covered by the nib/cone, you should me ok. Just a thought.

pitt100

Thanks for the replies. I pushed the nib down on a piece of glass and the assembly went in until flush. The transmission must have had a little room to go up. Not perfect but I'll take it as my first pen.

WriteON

Thanks for the replies. I pushed the nib down on a piece of glass and the assembly went in until flush. The transmission must have had a little room to go up. Not perfect but I'll take it as my first pen.

We learn from our first pen. Great choice on the Princess. And welcome aboard.

Top Bottom