Pricing of Virage Platinum vs Chrome

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Was just checking out the pricing of Virage kits on the BHW site:

Pen Kit Making Supplies Berea HardWoods

I have difficulty understanding why Platinum ($10.00) is only a dollar more than Chrome ($9.00) for the ballpoint kit. For comparison, the Titanium-Gold and Black Titanium kits are both $15.00.

I had always thought that platinum was a much more expensive plating.

And while on the subject of platinum, how is its durability compared to other platings ?

Will appreciate any comments.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Was just checking out the pricing of Virage kits on the BHW site:

Pen Kit Making Supplies Berea HardWoods

I have difficulty understanding why Platinum ($10.00) is only a dollar more than Chrome ($9.00) for the ballpoint kit. For comparison, the Titanium-Gold and Black Titanium kits are both $15.00.

I had always thought that platinum was a much more expensive plating.

And while on the subject of platinum, how is its durability compared to other platings ?

Will appreciate any comments.
Platinum right now is about the same price as 24K gold (a little lower). Rhodium is costlier than either.

It is possible that the plating process for platinum is less costly than the titaniums which are pretty exacting.

Platinum will wear a bit better than gold or silver, maybe about the same as chrome which I think goes in the 4-5 range on the scale below. Here is a hardness scale for metals - the higher the number the harder the metal. In this scale Diamond is 10.
CORRECTION; Chromium is actually much harder than Platinum

Hardness is indicitive but not necessarily an exact indicator of wearability. But the harder the metal the more resistant it should be to 'damage, like scratching". Few of the finishes used for pens are pure for instance most platinum plating like platinum used in jewelry are alloys that are about 90% platinum with other metals added as hardeners.

The Metals Scale of Hardness

Lead – 1.5
Tin – 1.5
Zinc – 2.5
Gold – 2.5 – 3
Silver – 2.5 – 3
Aluminum – 2.5 – 3
Copper – 3
Brass – 3
Bronze – 3
Nickel – 4
Platinum – 4 – 4.5
Steel – 4 – 4.5
Iron – 4.5
Palladium – 4.75
Rhodium – 6
Titanium – 6
Hardened Steel – 7 – 8
Tungsten – 7.5
Tungsten Carbide – 8.5 – 9

EDIT: All of that being said - you'd have to ask Berea about their pricing. I don't know about Platinum but Rhodium is more expensive as a finish plating than the Titaniums in most cases. I do not think Berea does this, but there are some kit makers who call a finish platinum where platinum is not used at all in the finish.

Last edited:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I can't answer your 1st question, but CS USA has this info

Pens and Platings - Craft Supplies USA - Craft Supplies USA

re: durability of platings!
That chart is a little misleading - Rhodium and Platinum are not in the same range on wearability - Rhodium is better. Additionally. Rhodium is not better for wear than the titaniums it is about the same. (assuming that all are properly applied platings over a suitable substrate).

Top Bottom