Pricing pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ronald Allen

Hello guys and gals, Is there a method of pricing pens at all as I have seen them selling from $30.oo all the way up to $195.00 on the internet. Since I am new here any suggestions would be accepted as I am not sure this has come up before I joined.
Thanks again
Ron[8D]

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

Ron,
First off, welcome to IAP! This is a great place, and you'll get a TON of help with different questions. One of the great things about this site is that many questions have already been answered, and this is no exception. If you do a quick search, you'll see that this has been discussed in great detail in various threads (and that's just in the relatively short time I've been here). For example, it is currently being hashed out over in the Marketing forum (http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6254 ).

What I've taken away from all the discussions is that it comes down to what your particluar market will bear. What your market will bear will be influenced by externalities, such as the median income and the level of disposable income in the market, as well as internal factors, such as the quality of your craftsmanship, the pen kits used, the types of woods, and the like. However, as a ballpark, I've seen most people say that their slimlines, done in a nice wood, tend to go for $20-$35, depending on the market; cigar pens go from $35-50'ish; Jr. Gent's and Barons go for $70-125. I'm sure others will come along and tell you I'm wrong about the pricing; this is just what I remember seeing off the top of my head, and is certainly not a comprehensive list.

jenamison

Hey and welcome Ron,
Exactly what Jim just described to you on pricing is right. And it seems this is always being discussed by even the big boys and girls on this site. So don't feel bad about asking, because it is one of those questions that will always be questioned. Oh and be careful digging too deep into the archives on this site, you will only become more and more addicted by what you find. This place is loaded with some awesome pen turners and they are extremely knowledgable!!!

Mike

JimGo

Ron,
I walked away from the computer, and realized that I didn't really answer your question. You asked if there is a method to pricing your pens. Ultimately, I stick with the answer above; the market will dictate the price, to a certain extent. There is what's referred to as the "economically efficient" point at which supply (i.e. how many pens you're willing to make at a given price) equals demand (how many pens people are willing to buy at that price). That's the sweet spot, and the point at which your profits will be highest; as discussed above, that will vary depending on a lot of factors. But, I read your question as also asking, absent the market information, how do you go about figuring out how much to actually price your pens? One way is to look at how much others in your market are selling their pens for. But that's not always an indicator, either; some of the people on here sell via the Internet, so they sell in your market too. But a lot of the people who are "regulars" here make MUCH better pens than I do; faced with a choice, a customer (at least the smart ones) will choose their pens over mine if I tried to sell them at the same price. So, here's one way to figure out what your pens are worth to YOU, from which you can then determine, based on the numbers I gave you above, how far off from the market you are.

I'd start off figuring out how much gross income I'd like to generate from my pen turning. Depending on the area of the country in which you live, and other financial issues, that can vary widely. But let's say you're shooting for a gross income from pen turning of $10,000 per year. The next question is, how many pens are you willing to turn to make that $10,000? Let's say you're willing to make 100/year (for most of us, we're just shooting for a self-supporting hobby, so I don't think 100/year sounds TOO unreasonable). That means, right off the bat, each pen you make has to sell for at least $100. Next, try to figure out the amortized cost of your shop equipment (lathe, bandsaw, drill press, etc.), supplies (blanks, kits, glue, sandpaper, ShopVac bags, etc.), and maintenance costs (new turning tools, electricity, rent/lease/mortgage cost of your "shop", etc.); I'd guess that puts most turners somewhere in the $15-20 range per pen. So, that means that all the pens you make have to sell for $115-120 on average.

Of course, that's not that far out of whack for some of the higher-end pens, like the Baron, which is the good news. The bad news is, if you're turning slimlines, you'll have to make a WHOLE lot more of them to get you close to the $10,000 you wanted (remember, most of the amortized costs mentioned above are fixed costs; that is, it's still going to cost you a certain amount per blank, per kit, for the electricity, etc. for each pen you make).

It was this realization that pushed me to try some of the more "elegant" kits.

Now, of course, this is just MY perspective on pricing, and it doesn't take into account the enjoyment you get out of turning the pens!

So...have I totally confused you? [:D]

swm6500

Ron, as you can tell from Jim's dissertation, pen pricing varies greatly. My slimlines I sell for $20 to $40 normally. Cigars are $35 and up. Have not got into the Barons and Gents yet.

rtjw

Jims explanation is a good one. The only bad thing is that if you want to make your hobby self supporting it will cost more than 10,000 (that is prolly in kits alone![:D]) And you will definitely turn more than 100!

Fred in NC

I said this before:

1. Establish a minimum. Cost of materials + overhead + labor.
2. Sell at what the market will bear, but never less than the minimum.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Overhead is often ignored, however wear and tear on equipment, electricity, rent, sandpaper, finishes, etc. add up. My overhead is about $2 per pen.

My minimum cost (includes labor) per slimline-based pen is about $12.50. I sell them for $20 up.

MDWine

I think pricing is not an easy thing. I was really amazed when I asked $25 for the Kingwood slimline, and he didn't bat an eye! (amazed and HAPPY!)

Now, if I could just get some more pens done!!

arehrlich

For some reason I've sold far more Jr. Gents and Gents than slimlines or even cigars. But then again I haven't sold that may pens being a newbie.

My Jr Gents FPs have sold between $75 and $90 depending on the wood and how I feel that day. El Grande FPs have sold for $50 - $60 and my cigars for $45.

I've felt good about the pricing given the area - LA is an expensive town to live in.

Alan

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Ron,

I agree with most of the above postings.

One other way to look at pricing is to determine HOW you expect to sell your pens. If at craft shows (my chosen venue), the first question is competition. WHEN, not if, you run into others, I don't want to be MUCH higher or MUCH lower than they are. Customers will walk the show before they buy and will know if you are out of line. ($5.00 diff is NOT out of line, that's the quality or quantity factor). Also, if you are using craft shows, I suggest a wide variety of prices for different materials. My cigar pens range from $25 to $75, and I have started showing a couple of pens in the $200 range (flag pens, Water buffalo, etc). All this being said, my booth would only "break even" about half the time with the booth fees being nearly $500 per show. (Chicago ain't cheap!!)

If you are selling through a craft shop, I think you have to look at the rest of the products in the shop. We have displayed in shops that carry very low end "junk" (my opinion) and I have not done well at all. Tried price points from $30 down to $15 for a slimline-no luck. So, I think the venue is extremely important. Many of the people on this site talk about exhibiting in craft shops, but I believe, from what they are saying, these are much nicer establishments and can sell higher end products.

In short, the glory of being in business for yourself is YOU get to make the decisions and what I or anyone else think about that decision should be taken as constructive criticism worth every penny you paid for it. [:)][:)][:)]

Most important, good luck, welcome, and good turning!!

Ronald Allen

Hi everyone, Thank you for the information which was very valuable, I live in Massachusettssometimes known as Taxachusetts and people have seen my pens at different shows and I do get OHHHHHHHHH's and Awwwwwwwww's on how beautiful they are but then again say the price is too high at $20.00- $30.00 range. I d not make just one line of pens as I also make bowls and flashlights as well as bats. Some are made for family and friends as gifts. at Xmas time I donate a lot to the Homless Children's Raffle but now that the White House has made it even harder to donate as many have to fill out so many LM-# formas they have said it would take up too much time. I also do a lot of scroll sawing, Pyrography and Power Carving so I am busy all the time but sales are down so much I have wondered as the general public has lost a lot of interest in such but go out and purchase factory made items even more expensive than what we offer. I can understand that the cost of living with gas prices going up and pay checks going down. I am retired after spending 37 years with the same company and all I would like is to continue my hobbies including Bass Fishing and am not trying to get rich at all as I only want to replace the wood and items needed to continue to see people enjoying something not factory made.
Thank you again for the information
Ron
PS excuse the spelling errors if any ....[:D]

malathan

I have been selling my slimlines for $30 each at work (to co-workers). One thing I do is spend alot of time on the finish using Enduro. On average, spend 2-3 hours total on pen as I drill, glue, turn, sand, 3-4 coats of sealer, MM, 5-7 coats Enduro, MM, then Renaissance wax. Had one person buy 10 slims and 6 Barons for xmas. Another bought 4 slims. Both wanted the slims dyed blue (must be ladies preference).

Cigar pens I sell for $25 - $30 mostly due to low demand. Too big for most people.
Barons, using the Titanium or Sterling Silver, charge $40 for.

Again, all my pens I am doing Enduro on. Wonder after reading other postings though if I am not overcharging the slimlines and undercharging the others.

- Clayton

knottyharry

Hi Ron,
I wanted to throw my 2 cents in here as well.
In most cases I think people are doing as much in a lot of respects as they ever did. You are producing a quality handcrafted product.
If that is all you think your pens are worth, then that's all they are worth. Point being. Don't hagle with these people. And don't be apologetic about your prices.Let them go to Wal-Mart and buy on for 2 dollars.
Just look at the price of the Monte Blanc pens, and some of the others. Your up into the hundreds of dollars. So you are offering them a bargain at 30 dollars.
You have to reach a certain group of people who appreciate the effort that goes into a handcrafted pen or anything else.
I live in a sort of depressed area. But there is money here also. I don't do flea markets, or run of the mill craft shows. A lot is by word of mouth. I target the better jewelry stores and gift shops, etc.
And it isn't just an income bracket. There are a lot of pen fanatics out there who are more than willing to pay what you are asking.
I also give a lot of pens away for publicity. The word gets around. I have a Dr's appointment coming up real soon, and i'll be sure and take him one.
Target the high end places. And if you sell one to your neighbor then that's cool also.
Just my 2 cents.
Harry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom