PRICING LIMITED EDITION PENS

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

TerryMartin

I am in the process of turning some rather special limited edition pens...the wood is from an Historic tree the "Pemberton Oak" which was the rallying point in 1780 for the "Overmountain Men" they marched on and joined Col. Campbell who marched them on to defeat Major Ferguson at Kings Mountain, SC. This has been recognized as a turning point in the American Revolutionary war. Unfortunately this 600 year old oak fell during a storm in 2002 and most of the tree was hauled away for study of the weather climate over the past centuries. A local member of the "Daughters of the American Revolution" managed to get a couple of small logs from which I expect to get some 40-50 pens (Premium Cigar Pen & Comfort Pen without rubber grip). Full provenance will be available from DAR.

How does one determine a selling price for such a pen?

2007891230_Two20pens20on20woodcut.jpg

*Edited by MesquiteMan to resize picture*

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

txbatons

That is very cool. I'm really interested in historic wood. You might look at the following site to gain a little perspective.

http://www.kennspenns.com/pens/index.html

gerryr

What is the plating on the kits? If you aren't using gold titanium why bother?

Beyond that, my first response is that you're wasting the wood on cigars and slimlines. I would mostly likely make at least half of it into fountain pens, and possibly all of it.

drayman

i agree with gerry, special wood deserves speciel pens. ie top end ones. regards colin.

dbriski

Unfortunatly, the only real answer is, as high as the market will bear. Are you selling them as a normal part of your inventory? or selling them at a special event? Shows? Website? Where you sell them and your customers would determin your sell price, but I agree with the others that you should do the higher end pens and I would price (depending on kit and plating) in the mid hundreds. Its always easier to shoot high and fall back when they don't sell then price them too low and want to get more for them. I would also number them as a special limited editions, and if possible get some sort of certificate explaining about the wood, its history and the pen number etc.

Rifleman1776

You really caught my attention with that one. "Historic" is an understatement. Very famous battle. You have a very singular opportunity there. Nothing wrong with Cigars. But, I have to agree with the others. Nicer styles like Jr. and full-sized Gents, Statemen and up to Emporer would be in order. I'm not sure making half of them into fountains would be a wise marketing move, a few maybe. I would also suggest you hold back some of the wood, maybe half for special orders. One suggestion for selling might be to contact Williamsburg, VA. Do check out their website to get an idea of their prices on stuff. Whatever you do, do not underprice. You have something very-very special there. I would reccomend printing up a brochure with information about the source of the wood. I'll PM you with contact info so I can send some other ideas for marketing.

doeringr

Wow! I agree with the others---top end pens for such a historical wood would be what does it justice. However, depending on how you usually sell your pens, it may seem like a gamble to go ahead and turn some high end kits with no guarantee that they would sell. Here's an idea...
Just advertise the wood and put together a little brochure showing different pen styles and commission the work as needed. That way, you are not holding on to high end pens the whole time and you are able to order pen kits when needed. There's a certain "allure" to a commissioned item as well as something catchy about seeing the raw form first before it turns into the item. Just some thoughts.

TerryMartin

This is a great Forum...Thank you all for your valued comments. I intended to have the pens engraved with "Pemberton Oak" and as a limited edition. I will be making some Baron but due to cracking in the logs I have a hard time in getting better than 5/8" squares, so larger pens are difficult. Great information on what to do , already checking on options.

Thanks for your contribution

Terry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom