Pricing European Pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Wood Tamer

I'm making 10 pens for a guy, he wants Euro style pens with single line engraving. He supplied the wood. Just curious, what would you guys typically charge for this style of pen? Wood Tamer

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rifleman1776

I sell a lot of Euros. I use only Ti gold plating. For most blanks, or customer supplied wood, the are $35.00 each. With theme clips, I add $5.00.
Now, depending on who the customer is, I may, or may not, give what I call a 'friends and family' discount. That is $5.00 off per pen.
I don't do it out of charity. It has proven to be excellent advertising. The customer is asked to not reveal that they got a discount. I get a lot of referrals from this.
BTW, the reason(s) I charge the same for customer supplied wood are: 1) I don't want to be undercut and still want to make a good profit; 2) The wood usually is questionable (my experience), results may not be what you like to deliver from wood you choose; 3) and, if it is wood with historical significance, there is a considerable 'pucker' factor involved. If you screw up, there is no pen and the wood is lost and you have a customer bad mouthing you. You deserve to get paid for the stress.

DurocShark

I agree with Frank. $35 is my starting point and I adjust from there as necessary. And the cost of the wood is a tiny portion of the total cost of a pen when you figure in labor.

mick

I do the same as Frank but my Ti Gold Euros start at $40.00 and add $6 to $10 depending on the number of pens to be engraved. But at the 10 pen price point I've certainly given the 10% discount a number of times So even at $35 plus engraving you'd come out to the good.
One thing I'd like to add about the price remaining the same with customer supplied wood.
The wood they supply is usually a minor cost in considering the total price of the pen. The largest cost involved with a pen is your expertise and skill in producing the pen. This doesn't change just because the customer supplies the wood. That's my reasoning...YMMV

Last edited:

GouletPens

It all depends on your level of skill, too. I've made quite a few and use Titanium kits, so I start my euros at $50, plus $10 for engraving. Now at 10 pens, I'll usually knock off 3-5% of the total. I wouldn't discount anything for him supplying the wood, b/c it's going to be a hassle for you to work with wood that hasn't been climatized to your shop. If the wood is rare and specific to him (a tree that was from his property or whatever), then guage him on what his idea of a good price is. If you really need the business or the guy is a good friend I'd say $40 a piece engraved is a fair price for anyone.

Malainse

Since this is a custom order make sure to get 50% $$ upfront..... Just do a search for a number of people that got taken by so called "friends"..... I also agree on the wood. I would do test run on a blank and see if it is what he wants/wood can be turned....

GouletPens

Custom orders should be 100% up front, especially if they're going to be engraved!! The most important thing is that you make sure you both clearly understand each other's expectations before any money or products exchange hands. This can be hard with 'friends' b/c they tend to assume certain favors from you that might be unrealistic, since they might not understand all that's involved in the process of making a pen.

Top Bottom