Pricing, again!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodchipper

I was at our local museum to take a second look at the wood projects in the gift shop. Cutting boards, bandsaw boxes, and pens were the main items on display. The items are juried January and July. Looking to put some pens and some other items there. But having second thoughts about this venture. I looked at the pens. They looked like Slimline pens with not much variety in blanks. Some were outright gaudy. They were priced at $39.00 each. The museum gets 40% of the price. Figuring $39.00 minus 15.60 leaves 23.40 for the pen turner. Not a lot IMHO. Your thoughts? Thanks.
The wife has pretty much gone against the gift shop in the outlet mall in another town. Hard to monitor sales and pens that walk off. "Yes, dear!"

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimB

The 40% is within the range for a retailer but they should be responsible for loss/theft of items. You need to price your items accordingly. Just because they are selling some for $40 that doesn't mean your pens need to sell for $40.

dogcatcher

At $23.40 per pen for Slimlines in my area would be a deal maker. I am lucky if I can get $30 if I am selling it myself, but selling it myself takes a lot of time. As to the time factor it also depends on if you are making them one at a time or in batches of a dozen or more.

Woodchipper

JimB, I'll put that question to them about theft/shoplifting. Thanks.
dogcatcher, thanks for the info. The pens on display are not what I would make or buy. As I said, some were too gaudy and too flashy.
FWIW, I pulled Don Ward's book, "Turning Modified Slimline Pens" off the shelf as a way to get started. He has some good ideas to make a plain Jane pen into something attractive in addition to being useful and affordable.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
JimB, I'll put that question to them about theft/shoplifting. Thanks.
dogcatcher, thanks for the info. The pens on display are not what I would make or buy. As I said, some were too gaudy and too flashy.
FWIW, I pulled Don Ward's book, "Turning Modified Slimline Pens" off the shelf as a way to get started. He has some good ideas to make a plain Jane pen into something attractive in addition to being useful and affordable.

Not much for added time, but a great increase in value/price IMO. A great resource.

Woodchipper

mark james, thanks for the comment.

FWIW, I remember going to Medina with my father on a service call in the early 60s. I remember the steel mills there. Probably all gone now.

nativewooder

Any workman who puts his merchandise in front of the public in a business he/she does not control MUST have a signed contract with the owner of the business to protect his inventory! I used to build custom fishing rods and they get expensive very quickly, but I trusted the"owners" and their employees, and almost every time a custom rod was no longer in the display rack, the "owner" would claim he had no idea what happened to the custom rod. Finally, one of his employees told me that he was selling them to his friends at steeply discounted prices and pocketing the money. So I talked to the local law enforcement, and they told me that they couldn't help me other than to recommend a signed contract, but within a short time he was out of business and out of town. PROTECT YOURSELF!:eek:

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
One other thing to consider, placing the items in shops exposes your products to people. I have items in several shops and while I am not thrilled with the 60% / 40% split, I've received some pretty nice orders from people who saw the items in the shops.

MRDucks2

Just yesterday, as I returned something to a big box home goods/hardware store, the clerk handed me her pen to sign the receipt with. I signed, handed it back and said "that's a princess pen, I believe in hot pink inlace acrylester." Her eyes widened with a big smile on her face and she said yes, it is. I told her that I really liked rose pens and went about my business.

I did not examine the pen but it was loose in the middle and the lower blank moved on the tube. She may have made it herself, gotten it as a gift or purchased it. I only know that it would have been disassembled for parts and remade if it were mine.

She had maybe a $20 pen, all in the parts value. I sell the same pen in proper condition for $65. Without handling, they would both look the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

log2lumber

I do a holiday show and someone sells the same high-end kits with lesser blanks for 1/2 of what I do. I did the math and they are only making $2 or $3 per pen. It screws the two of us which higher end products. Barely enough to pay the booth fee or gas to get there.

We brought up the issue of dumping to the coordinator and she said many people are just trying to break even on their hobby.

Woodchipper

Break even? Why even bother? Sort of like the joke, Maybe we need a bigger truck!
I doubt if the director would sign a contract. The person would then accept liability. I'll check on the terms with the museum.

dogcatcher

When they do the jury of the proposed exhibitors, one of the things the jury members will consider is the prices and if it will sell at that price.

As a side note, have you been an active supporter of the museum? Does it have a "patron" group that pay dues to support the museum and help with venues when they have anything special going on? Do they have regular fund raisers that you have participated in? In other words are you an active supporter of the museum or just looking for a venue to sell at? This may cross the jury's minds as they contemplate their selections.

JimB

Break even? Why even bother? Sort of like the joke, Maybe we need a bigger truck!
I doubt if the director would sign a contract. The person would then accept liability. I'll check on the terms with the museum.

The 'Why' is simple. It's a hobby for them. They enjoy making the pens and maybe the social aspect of the craft show. They are not trying to make money but they can't afford to keep buying supplies either so they sell to break even so they can keep doing what they like.

Woodchipper

This is not a craft show I'm considering but the local heritage museum in downtown. This thread has brought up a lot of questions. The museum has supporters who are the folks with the big bucks. I don't have the $$$$ to donate. Our income is spent foolishly on food, clothing, and shelter.

Last edited:
Top Bottom