Pressure Pot Modifications Question(s) - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Penturning
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Penturning General penturning discussions not specifically addressed in one of the specialty forums.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2019, 10:57 AM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Default Pressure Pot Modifications Question(s)

I am a new member and new to pen turning. I have turned one(1) slimline pen and thatís it! I am relatively pleased with it, but realize it is no great piece of work.
I just joined the IAP and this is my first post. I have a question (maybe more than one).
I am considering trying to mold my own pen blanks. I have watched several videos on how to go about modifying a Harbor Freight paint pressure pot for pen blank casting. Putting aside a general distrust in the quality of HF tools, I cannot figure out why everyone (at least the ones I watched) made so many modifications. I understand the removal of the paint uptake pipe. Then folks remove the pressure relief valve and later reinstalled it on the output side of the pressure regulator. [In one video, the person boogered the threads and had to re-tap the hole. In another, the valve assembly was destroyed in the removal operation]. Whatís wrong with leaving it where it is? For almost all the modifications, I see a shopping list of elbows, reducers, couplings, nipples, etc. It looks to me like all I need is a cap for the air outlet on the pressure regulator, a cap for the paint outlet, a ľĒ ball valve and air quick-connect on the inlet to the pressure regulator. What am I missing here?
I would be grateful for any advice and/or clarifications of my misunderstanding of the need for many changes. I hope to be a contributor to this organization and share what I can.
SALKBL
SALKBL is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-25-2019, 11:55 AM   #2 (permalink)

Photos: 10

1. welcome aboard, you'll find this is a great lil' forum!
2. Pressure pot, I built one, changed some of the things along with some of those suggestions, some I did not. It holds pressure very well, and works just fine. IMHO, if it doesn't NEED to be changed, and/or you don't want to change it... don't!

I think most of those suggestions are for "convenience"... I did replace the valve for a better quality, and pointed it in a different direction for convenience.

I wouldn't change it for changes sake. The most important thing is that it holds the pressure reliable without exploding! (j/k.. kinda)
MDWine is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-25-2019, 02:40 PM   #3 (permalink)

Photos: 76

Hi Steve !! . Welcome to IAP !! . Thanks for starting this tread about Pressure Pots. . I will follow with interest.

You will get more satisfaction from your early days of pen turning if you save the slimlines for later. . In particular, give the 30 Caliber Bolt Action pen kit a try. . It is an easier start for beginners, although the kit is considerably more expensive than the slimline. . Also good is a Sierra, or Wall Street ... made with straight sides at first and then, after you have done a few, go for slightly bulged sides.

You will find everything you want for penturning at ExoticBlanks.com. . You will get fast shipping and outstanding service, plus you can rely on the advice you are freely offered by the proprietors who will talk to you by phone on any issues you may have ... they have the greatest selection of stuff and have the greatest experience with pens of anyone I know.
magpens is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 01-25-2019, 04:05 PM   #4 (permalink)

Photos: 134

Welcome to the IAP. You will find more on pressure pots in the Library.
Lin
Old 01-25-2019, 04:16 PM   #5 (permalink)

Photos: 12

You are correct. I think a lot of guys will swap out the pressure relief valve with one that is slightly higher quality - these cheapies are notorious for relieving early (or late). As to the quality of the HF tanks, it is pretty clear that they're not the best. There are plenty of threads on IAP the discuss the details, so won't get too far into it here. A couple of things to watch for are: don't modify the clamping devices or lid, watch the clamps and lid for damage and stop using if you see any, be cautious about pressure "ratings" they don't really mean much for the HF or similar tanks - the higher you go the more risk of failure, lastly stay out of the 'line of fire" when pressuring up (if it blows and you are behind a barrier, you stand a better chance of avoiding injury).

Welcome to IAP!
Old 01-25-2019, 04:22 PM   #6 (permalink)

Photos: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dehn0045 View Post
You are correct. I think a lot of guys will swap out the pressure relief valve with one that is slightly higher quality - these cheapies are notorious for relieving early (or late). As to the quality of the HF tanks, it is pretty clear that they're not the best. There are plenty of threads on IAP the discuss the details, so won't get too far into it here. A couple of things to watch for are: don't modify the clamping devices or lid, watch the clamps and lid for damage and stop using if you see any, be cautious about pressure "ratings" they don't really mean much for the HF or similar tanks - the higher you go the more risk of failure, lastly stay out of the 'line of fire" when pressuring up (if it blows and you are behind a barrier, you stand a better chance of avoiding injury).

Welcome to IAP!

Best to first test with water, it wonít kill you like compressed gas will. I definitely changed out the pressure relief vale to a better quality one. It is all that is between you and an ugly explosion if you over pressure the pot or your regulator fails.

Danny

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app
More4dan is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-25-2019, 05:34 PM   #7 (permalink)
Member Liaison

Photos: 46

Welcome Steve. Enjoy the fun here at IAP!

As to your question as to why so many modifications - I have learned through watching, listening and studying people is that each one sees things though his own minds eye. Some of the modifications, I just did not understand but it worked for them, and that was the way they saw it.

I have one inlet/outlet on mine with a T on top with one side being vacuum and the other side being pressure and each able to be turned on or off as needed. I did not use the fittings that came with it, instead upgrading to known/better fittings and equipment.

Another often stated truth here Ask 10 people and get 12 different answers that work. What that means is there are a lot of variables as to what works . . . and don't work.

Good is the enemy of Best
leehljp is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-25-2019, 06:04 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by leehljp View Post
Welcome Steve. Enjoy the fun here at IAP!

As to your question as to why so many modifications - I have learned through watching, listening and studying people is that each one sees things though his own minds eye. Some of the modifications, I just did not understand but it worked for them, and that was the way they saw it.

I have one inlet/outlet on mine with a T on top with one side being vacuum and the other side being pressure and each able to be turned on or off as needed. I did not use the fittings that came with it, instead upgrading to known/better fittings and equipment.

Another often stated truth here Ask 10 people and get 12 different answers that work. What that means is there are a lot of variables as to what works . . . and don't work.
I'm preparing to set up my pressure pot and have wondered about a pressure/vacuum set up. How does your set up work? I like the idea of being able to do either in the same tank.
Dr_N is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-25-2019, 06:30 PM   #9 (permalink)

I have 2 pressure pots. The first is a 5 gallon I set up for pressure with everything ready to add vacuum. Added a regulator to the pot itself and added an elbow to diffuse air from blowing on liquid resin inside the pot. Upgrade the valves, gauges and set it up to run multiple pots off one air line the future. All in all, about $100 in brass fittings.

Then I bought a used 2.5 gallon pot with 1 valve and a gauge. Also acquired a small vacuum chamber at the same time.

I use them all equally. Sometimes both pressure pots at once. Never hooked them up parallel and havenít yet used the big one for vacuum.

Both the big pot with all the valves and fitting and regulators and gauges and the small pot with 1 fitting and a cheap Gauge work equally well.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app
Be kind &
Leave The Rest to God
MRDucks2 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-25-2019, 08:24 PM   #10 (permalink)

Some people have posted that the pressure regulator has leaked. Its not needed and its not even really designed for this use.

Its to regulate the pressure of the continuous air flow going into the pot as paint as pushed out and it's not needed for just filling the pot.

Some site safety but other stuff you pressurize like your tires don't have a regulator. I don't even regulate the air coming out of the compressor, its cranked all the way up. Just like if I'm filling my tires.
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads