Pregnant pens?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mikeschn

I've often wondered if I should be turning 2/3's of the pen blank straight, and rounding the last third of the blank down to the nib.

The other option would be to make the pens pregnant, i.e. from the center band grow out, and then grow back in down to the nib.

You guys know what works and what looks good. Is some pregnancy acceptable, or should I eliminate pregnancy all together?

Mike...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SteveG

You are the one best able to answer your own question. It is helpful to consider your goals. Do you want to sell, give gifts, just keep 'em, etc....? What satisfies you the most?

If you want to get a survey feedback on a large scale, go to the Show Off Your Pens (SOYP) forum, and just start flipping through the posts you find there. Select some photos that appeal to you,and then see how your prefs match up with other pen turners. A common progression for "new" pen turners is to initially go bulbous, and after a while begin to start sliming down. Some stay with the pregnant look. So it ultimately depends on you and your desired "market". Be sure to have fun along the way! :)

CREID

It doesn't really matter, as always, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. Take a look at the Member photo albums and see what they have done. I am pretty sure that you will find just about every variation you can dream up. And have fun, experiment and see what you think looks best.

SteveG

I had intended to welcome you to the group, but forgot until after hitting the "Reply" button.

Recent join date, and 5 posts: you just got here! Aloha

mikeschn

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the welcome...

You gave me the answer I suspected all along. Beginners go bulbous! Experts slim down.

And of course you just confirmed what my wife has been saying... She likes her pens to be slim!

Mike...

You are the one best able to answer your own question. It is helpful to consider your goals. Do you want to sell, give gifts, just keep 'em, etc....? What satisfies you the most?

If you want to get a survey feedback on a large scale, go to the Show Off Your Pens (SOYP) forum, and just start flipping through the posts you find there. Select some photos that appeal to you,and then see how your prefs match up with other pen turners. A common progression for "new" pen turners is to initially go bulbous, and after a while begin to start sliming down. Some stay with the pregnant look. So it ultimately depends on you and your desired "market". Be sure to have fun along the way! :)

mikeschn

Thanks Curt.

Mike...

It doesn't really matter, as always, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. Take a look at the Member photo albums and see what they have done. I am pretty sure that you will find just about every variation you can dream up. And have fun, experiment and see what you think looks best.

mecompco

Yup, I think in general "slimmer is better". A very modest belly on a Sierra looks good, I think, but so does bushing to bushing. What I absolutely cannot abide (and I see many posted) is the wasp-waisted Slim. Why people do this is beyond me, in my eyes they just look horrendous--like a 48" waisted guy wearing a 24" belt. If you want a big pen, make a big pen. If you make a Slim, make it slim. OK, off my soapbox now. :)

Oh, by the way, welcome!

Regards,
Michael

CREID

Yup, I think in general "slimmer is better". A very modest belly on a Sierra looks good, I think, but so does bushing to bushing. What I absolutely cannot abide (and I see many posted) is the wasp-waisted Slim. Why people do this is beyond me, in my eyes they just look horrendous--like a 48" waisted guy wearing a 24" belt. If you want a big pen, make a big pen. If you make a Slim, make it slim. OK, off my soapbox now. :)

Oh, by the way, welcome!

Regards,
Michael
Hey! What's wrong with my 24" belt? Never mind, my waist is 50"..:biggrin:

mecompco

Oh, by the way, welcome!

Regards,
Michael
Hey! What's wrong with my 24" belt? Never mind, my waist is 50"..:biggrin:

Ha ha, mine is too. Working on it, though, now down to 48. :biggrin:

jttheclockman

What I always tell people is look at the big name brands and you never see bulbous pens. yes it is a matter of taste and sometimes people do it on purpose because the customer is arthritic or is handicapped. Different case to me. I am a bushing to bushing person. Or follow the contour of the kit itself.

BSea

I think some of the bulbous pen are the result of simply being new to turning. I was apprehensive at 1st about getting too close to the bushings. So my 1st several pens were on the fat side. But when I was turning them (between centers), they didn't look all that fat. Bur once assembled, I was shocked at how much fatter they looked once put together.

So that's when I started relying more on calipers than my eyes.

Top Bottom