Preferred palm pen blank cut?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Smith

Is there any reason to cut palm diagonal or cross grain for pen blanks? I cut some more or less straight with the grain but palm is a little wild. Since I have never turned any palm pens I would appreciate any suggestions. I won't be turning any of the pens until I get back from KC but I am trying to clean up and cut up some stuff before I leave.

Dave Smith

Planning a big trip from Longview, WA.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Doghouse

The final turning is often with the 80Grit Gouge. x-grain and straight grain will have tear out, so expect that. It is fun to turn, but stabelizing is also an option.

gpadgham

I agree with Dog house. Esp. if you are dealing with black palm. I find that to be a little less forgiving. make sure your tools are sharper than sharp, and take your time. The result will be satisfying.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Cut it any way you want based on the effect you want the final pen to have.
I like a challenge so I decided to cut what I had diagonal.
I stabilized with Ca as I went.
The thumb nails feature doesn't work for me but here's a link to one in my album.( the link doesn't work either last pagein my album lower right corner)
Ca stabilized and did not use the 80 grit gouge, finished off with a skew.
yellowsmilewinkgrin.gif

mikes pens

I am working on a red palm pen right now. It is cross cut. I find palm can be difficult at the best of times to turn (maybe it is just me). I had a few palm blanks blow apart on the lathe (cross cut and straight) before I decided the blanks needed a little extra work before turning. I now stabilize them with polycryl and then pentacryl. I know it soaks in far just by the shavings that come off when turned. Then, I finish up with CA. When I take the time, I have no problem turning the pen and having it turn out fine. The cross cut are very interesting pens and different which is always fun.

Mike

Dave Smith

Originally posted by cteaglesc
<br />Cut it any way you want based on the effect you want the final pen to have.
The thumb nails feature doesn't work for me but here's a link to one in my album.( the link doesn't work either last pagein my album lower right corner)
yellowsmilewinkgrin.gif

I even found some wood in a couple of your pens. Very interesting turnings. Thanks, now I can see how the diagonal would look. I am leery of crosscut palm because of the stringiness of the fibers. I guess it would be OK with something to stabilize it.

I don't know weather it is red or black palm. I got it from Southern CA. Now I will need to research the difference so I can answer questions for customers.

Thanks for all the great input. There are a great bunch of people here.

Dave Smith

Its summer, how come the rain isn't warm in Longview, WA?

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
"I don't know weather it is red or black palm."

Dave,
Black palm is BLACK. Red and white palm (at least that's what I was told it was) can look a lot alike. But Black is BLACK.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by Dave Smith
<br />
Originally posted by cteaglesc
<br />Cut it any way you want based on the effect you want the final pen to have.
yellowsmilewinkgrin.gif

I even found some wood in a couple of your pens. Very interesting turnings. Thanks, now I can see how the diagonal would look. I am leery of crosscut palm because of the stringiness of the fibers. I guess it would be OK with something to stabilize it.

I don't know weather it is red or black palm. I got it from Southern CA. Now I will need to research the difference so I can answer questions for customers.

Thanks for all the great input. There are a great bunch of people here.

Dave Smith

Its summer, how come the rain isn't warm in Longview, WA?

Amazing huh?
yellowbigeek.gif

Originally posted by ed4copies
<br />"I don't know weather it is red or black palm."

Dave,
Black palm is BLACK. Red and white palm (at least that's what I was told it was) can look a lot alike. But Black is BLACK.
Go figure
slap.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom