Preferred glue/resin for inlay on pens?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

redfishsc

Gonna try something different this weekend and inlay some colored resin (or epoxy) in aluminum. Using regular Artstuf colorants.

Would you use PR or 30-minute epoxy?

If you use PR, how much catalyst would you use per oz?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DozerMite

Banned
I have used epoxy with good results but, I don't think PR will cure in that small of an amount very quickly. I haven't tried it, just my opinion from other experiments.

redfishsc

That's what I was thinking about the PR, but I've seen folks post on here about using PR for inlay work. Maybe they were referring to Inlace, which I've also heard called "PR" and I think inlace is thicker, I never used it.

td

Banned
I've used embossing powder, thin CA & additional heat gun (it puffs the powder) with excellent results - at least 40 inlays

redfishsc

I haven't used embossing powder yet, what does the "puff" refer to?

I've tried CA before but even the thick stuff seems to set up too fast for me to get a nice, even inlay. I've also tried CA with mica/luster pigment and it reacts too swift with it, and it also doesn't have much reflectivity either, seems to wash out the mica powder.

td

Banned
It "bulks" up. Puffy paints on fabric are flat until you iron them... then they puff up. Embossing powder is used on paper, then heated to raise the "grain" for texture like on greeting cards. They come in at least as many colors as Pearle Ex. You can buy them by single colors or a set. I got the info off of this site last year from a video posted about doing inlays. The video also addresses "wash out".

In the library here... Inlays - Video Tips by Ed Davidson

fernhills

Hi, i save the shavings from acrylic pens, just put the stuff in the pen kit plastic bags, i have about 10 colors in acrylics and about 5 in wood shavings. I just did one in an Aussie Burl pen that chunked out on me, you can see it in SOYP forum. You just put it on with thick or thin C/A walk away till dry then use your skew to smooth it out,shines up well. Carl

workinforwood

I have had lots of success with 5 minute epoxy as being better than 30 minute epoxy. Glitter glue works great but requires multiple applications over several days. Inlace, the stuff available at CSUSA is really really great. Comes in premix colors and clear where you can buy the powders and mix your own colors. I really like that product, it's the fastest results and does not require a finish over the top, it will simply polish. With epoxy, you will want to give it 24 hrs before turning, with inlace a couple hours is plenty.
Because you are using aluminum, you will want to soak no matter what you put in your holes with thin CA. The slightest crack or crevice in your inlay will become filled with the black slurry of wet sanding the aluminum..that is why you must seal the inlay in with CA...even if you use a PR, seal it before wet sanding the aluminum..can't stress that enough, been there done that!

rherrell

I tried using epoxy on some of my cartridge pens with the slots cut in them and didn't have much luck. I kept getting tiny voids that I'm guessing were from trapped air. It also didn't shine up the way I wanted. I went back to PR under pressure with much better success.
The slots I were trying to fill were about 1/8" deep and 5/32" wide.

Top Bottom