Precision Drilling?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

shootintom

Hi Gang,

I'm from Central PA and have a tech question on drilling a precision hole the length of the blank. It going to be Corian and a Cigar Pen an what I want to do is laminate a thin strip of contrasting Corian down the length of of the blank. My concern is making sure the hole goes from point A to B without wandering. Has anyone ever done this?

Thanks ahead of time.

Tom

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
Yes, there are special techniques in addition to a sharp bit that insure perfect drilling. I don't have the links but will try to explain it.

On a lathe: mount it in a chuck and bring the live center point up to the end - specifically to the very point that you want the drill bit to exit. Turn that end round, at least one inch of it.
SINCE this end is perfectly round, and the very center is where you want the exit to be - switch the round end into the chuck. It is centered.

Mark the other end with the entrance point. Place your drill chuck and bit in the tail stock of the lathe. Advance! The entry point and exit point are controlled. Unless there is a problem with your lathe or equipment, you will have the precision you want.

On a Drill press:

Mark the entry and exit points and make a dimple with a sharp punch.

Make a flat board that can be clamped down tight. Drive a small nail in it so that the point is sticking out about 1/8 to 1/4 inch. Place this under the DP bit in its lowered position. Make sure the point of the nail and the lowered bit are precise in their alignment. Lock the board/nail in place.

Place one end of the corian on the nail aligned in the dimple. Next, start the drill into the corian at the dimple on the other end. You will need to hold the corian with pliers.

This is done with antler that so that entry and exit points can be controlled even though the antler is not square, round or straight.

BTW: WELCOME TOM!

Last edited:

shootintom

You guys are the best! Thanks for all the help, it seems that there was an easy solution that I couldn't quite see for myself. I had the idea of turning each end round on my metal lathe and then trun the whole blank round and then bore it on the metal lathe. These methods are so much easier. I've had my pen turning lathe since Jan. and I'm really getting to love Corian material to work with.

Tom

Top Bottom