Precious Metal Clay

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

gerryr

I just read an article in the newspaper about this stuff. It was developed by Mitsubishi in the early 1990s. It consists of microscopic particles of silver suspended in water with an organic binder that gives it malleability of clay. After shaping it gets fired in a kiln, don't know how hot, which burns off the binder leaving 99% pure silver. There's somebody here in town who teaches people how to make jewelry with the stuff so I think I'm going to talk to her about it. Has anybody heard of this? There might be some applications for penmaking.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
It may well have applicability, Gerry, but when I looked into it the stuff was incredibly expensive. Let us know what you find out, though. Maybe things have changed in the past year.

btboone

I've got some books on it. I haven't had a chance to try it. It fires at different temperatures; faster at higher temps and slower at lower temps.

There's a PMC Guild; check it out: http://www.pmcguild.com/gallery/gallery1.html

gothycdesigns

There are about 3 grades of this PMC. A thin, a Thick or hard and also the binder more like a watered mix. This is mainly for connecting edges together. It is very expensive about $30.00, but there are different brands which may be priced lower. But it all comes out of Japan. In a package you get a ball about 10 grams worth I think which in looking at the amount it is the size of a super ball (One of those very rubbery balls). You can make out 2 or 3 rings with it. It is not recommended to drill it, but your holes should be made before firing.

The temps for firing are about 1250F to roughly 1750F. Depending on which mix you have you and can fire it by either a propane torch or a small kiln. Lower temp with a torch can be about 2-10 minutes. The best way to work it is design what you want and make sure it is slightly oversized it shrink 28% which could be a could of thousands or hundreths can't remember, after firing. But before firing , let dry over night and will be firm to touch. Then fire it depending on mix you have at specified temps. When it is at a certain temp the binder will burn of creating a flame. The piece needs to be fired til a slight red flow or orange glow then take away or turn off kiln. Some kilns can be set a timer which some also have a cool down cycle too I think.

When the piece has finally cooled, then take a small fine wire brush or course steel wool to take away the chared binder. Then there you have you full silver piece. This PMC would work great for creating you own center rings, but I do not think it is best to turn it.

I hope I have some of this right, I was looking into it myself to design some goth/keltic jewelry.
Barnes & Nobles should have a few books on it. The one local to me has 4 different and thick books on it.

Later,

Ray

leehljp

Member Liaison
I bought a kit and extra silver powder last summer in Japan at the World EXPO. There was a craft booth not far from where I was working that sold the kits. They let people make their own jewelry but the customer had to come back later and pick it up after it was baked. The kits are also sold in expensive hobby / craft stores. It was my intention to try this for making inlays and CBs for pens at the time I bought the kit.

My mom became ill here in the States and I had to return here before I could try it. I will be returning in June.

jhop

delphi stained glass sells it, many different forms ara available. i looked at last time i was at their store, but ran out of money before i got to that part of the store. http://www.delphiglass.com

woodwish

I was at a show last year and someone next to me had a bunch of jewelry made out of it for sale. It's kind of neat idea but to be honest it had a "home made" look to it for me, just not all that great. That may have been due to the skills of the artist and not the material. It kind of reminded me of that plastic clay that people heat in the oven to make stuff, I have seen pens made of it. It's not bad for a home craft project but not a real professional material in the samples I have seen. Good luck with it, I am looking forward to seeing some good stuff made with it hopefully. Keep us posted.

gerryr

For what it would probably cost to buy a kiln and the cost of the material, I'd be better off to go back to lost wax casting. I did some of that years ago, even had a mold blow up on me and molten silver flying around.[:0] But, wax is cheap and you don't have that kind of shrinkage and you can use something other than just fine silver, which I can't imagine would be very good for clips.

gothycdesigns

The best way I have seen this worked with is rubber stamps. If you get a narrow design, press it into the clay and trim to size. I have heard that if you made a copy on paper, photocopied it at 28% enlargement, this would give you a starting size for your piece. Then once baked or torched, it should be proper sizing. This method was used for making PMC Silver rings. It definitely is based on the artist, but a crafty feel and look to it would or could compliment a piece by it over all being handcrafted. There are a lot of people that appreciate all handcrafted work. I'm sure there would be a new market if it became popular. Rustic, simple, but still handcrafted. That what people love to buy even if it has slight imperfections. Hancrafted dosen't mean professional either. Its unique.

Later,
Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom