International Association of Penturners  
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Penturning
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Penturning General penturning discussions not specifically addressed in one of the specialty forums.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2012, 08:40 AM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Default Pre-turned blanks

Last night I saw some glass and fiber blanks from Timberbits that were completely finished. You buy the blanks and components, put them together, and you're done. Seems to me that this is a step in the wrong direction for the hobby.

If you have thoughts on this, as a seller of pens, please star a thread in the Marketing Forum. Buy and press pens may affect our businesses as well, but I think that's a seperate conversation that belongs elsewhere.
Chatham PenWorks is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-06-2012, 11:08 AM   #2 (permalink)

You don't have to buy them. He's a seller doing what seller's do.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:14 AM   #3 (permalink)

Photos: 1

I can see no impact for the hobbiest - you have already been able to do something awfully close to that with some of the poly clay and other blanks available with the tubes already installed...a little turning and polishing and assemble.

It's interesting to me that there is a current thread running that mentions a trend toward kitless creations.
Advertisement
Old 04-06-2012, 11:33 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finatic View Post
Can we not have a civil discussion, and not turn this into a ****ing match? In no way do I fault Timberbits for "doing what sellers do". If you can't contribute to the conversation, then just move on.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:48 AM   #5 (permalink)

Photos: 1

yes there are others that are buy and assemble (football Polyclay blanks and the Damascus blanks that are available that most simply don't have the equipment to turn/etch correctly) but this is the first time I've seen a ready to assemble blank that isn't really needed. Meaning all of us have the ability to turn and polish these with regular tools.

I have left the IAP. If you wish to contact, use the email a member feature. I don't log in to see PMs any longer.
Russianwolf is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-06-2012, 11:48 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty37 View Post
I can see no impact for the hobbiest - you have already been able to do something awfully close to that with some of the poly clay and other blanks available with the tubes already installed...a little turning and polishing and assemble.

It's interesting to me that there is a current thread running that mentions a trend toward kitless creations.

I see what you're saying, and thought the same when those blanks came out. They were hand made though, and you did have to do some work to finish them. With these new ones, the hardest thing to do may be to get the &^%* baggies open.

I honestly see these kits (don't think component sets fits) selling like crazy. I also see the completed blanks coming out in many more. I just don't think I would have started turning pens, if I'd seen completely finished kits available, and for so cheap. Wondering if others might feel the same.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:55 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatham PenWorks View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finatic View Post
Can we not have a civil discussion, and not turn this into a ****ing match? In no way do I fault Timberbits for "doing what sellers do". If you can't contribute to the conversation, then just move on.
I did not see his comment as a ****ing match. Yours on the other hand...

How is this bad for the "hobby"? You do a hobby because you enjoy it. I shoot black and white film in large format cameras as a hobby. I suppose I could get very upset about digital cameras and computers taking the human element and thought out of photography.
Haynie is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-06-2012, 11:56 AM   #8 (permalink)

I would not buy one but if I got an order for a lot of CF blanks they may see some of my money....

Another benefit could be someone that may not yet posses the skill set to turn one of these but someone has requested one from them. I have seen folks post on here looking for someone to make a pen from a certain material that they are not comfortable doing themselves and/or don't have time or money for trial and error.

Everything has its place to some extent.
Justturnin is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-06-2012, 12:07 PM   #9 (permalink)

Photos: 3

I guess it depends if you make pens to sell, or if you make pens for fun and sell them. If you just want to sell as many as you can, you could get a lathe duplicater with a pen pattern. But I see your point, pre-finished blanks look really boring.
Joe S. is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-06-2012, 12:13 PM   #10 (permalink)

There are worst thing coming out. Rizheng have start to sell finished acrylics Sierra style pen for less than $3. They are sold out right now but if the demand is there they will come back. They have slimline style in rosewood for less than $2. Anyone that knows how the chinese work, can figure out that in 6 mounts, these pen are going to end up in dollars store. They are the same component and blanks that they sell us, so try to make a custommer understand that they are not the same. You can't because they are. You can even buy 10 finished slimline barrel for $4. Why bother buy and turn blanks for slimline. Just refinish them your way and a $20. pen is ready. And i don't think they are going to stop with these. There are change coming in, will just have to adapt.

Last edited by arioux; 04-06-2012 at 12:14 PM.
arioux is offline   Reply With Quote Top