Pre-Drilling For Celtic Knot?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

palmermethod

After reading George and Sirik's great tutorial "Turning a Knot Design" I see the necessity of a perfectly square blank and accurate measurements. One of my (many) problems was drilling slightly off center . Is it possible to pre-drill the blank and mount the blank on a wooden dowel during the knot cutting process? It seems that that might solve my off center drilling? Newbie question.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

palmermethod

dscott,
Here is the link:
http://www.georgeandsirik.com/knot-tutorial.html

It was referenced gketell in the the FAQ section on this site. Do not know if they are members here but a very good tutorial.<u></u>

Texatdurango

Originally posted by palmermethod
<br />... One of my (many) problems was drilling slightly off center . Is it possible to pre-drill the blank and mount the blank on a wooden dowel during the knot cutting process? It seems that that might solve my off center drilling? Newbie question.

Hi Bob,

Actually Sirik has nothing to do with the tutorial, she's my sweetie and we just named the website the way we did so our RV'ing friends would have an easy name to remember when seeing our travel photos.

I composed that little tutorial after doing a couple knot designs and dozens of members were emailing me asking how I did this or that.

That was a few months ago and since then I have learned that drilling on the lathe affords the most accurately centered holes. I now spend most of my time building the blanks, trying out different ideas and the actual turning and finishing is only a small part of the task. With so much time invested, the last thing you want is to drill a hole slightly off center and ruin the whole piece.

Rather than pre-drilling, I would suggest the following:

1. Do your segment work. BUT rather than cut the blanks completely in half, saw only 80-90% through the blanks to help maintain continuity. Skiprat had a nice thread showing the benefits of not sawing the blanks entirely in half as I did.
2. Once all the segments are assembled and the glue has dried, mount the blank on a lathe between two centers and turn it round.
3. Once round, I chuck my blanks into a Beall collet chuck and drill with a bit chucked into a MT-2 Jacobs chuck.

I have used my Nova G3 chuck to hold the blanks while drilling but prefer the Beall collets.

Have fun!
George

Randy_

Bob: Drilling blanks on a lathe will require you to have a scroll chuck and a Jacobs chuck that fit your lathe.....a serious expense if you don't already own them. It's really not that hard to drill centered holes in blanks on a drill press. Perhaps you should review your drilling technique to see if you can discover why you are having problems?? You probably don't want to be drilling all of your blanks on the lathe as it is a slower process so just figure out how to do it right on the DP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom