Pre Drilled Blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

challagan

Hello, I recently purchased the PSI Turncrafters Pro Starter Set. I haven't even received it yet. I have read a couple comments here on pre drilled blanks, and the overall opinion was predrilled blanks like the ones that come with the kit are not any good. Can anyone tell me why this is? Just want to know for my own good. I realize I will need to drill out my own blanks eventually but I won't be able to get a vise right away and thought these would be a good way to get up and running to learn the basics of the turning of these boogers! Anyway, would like to know the problems with these.
thanks,
Corey

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dfurlano

I got some pre drilled blanks from PSI and have had no issues. They are drilled to 7mm so thats the pen kits you should get. If there is something wrong with them call them and have them send you new ones they are usually very understanding when there is a problem.

Ron Mc

Corey,
I have never purchased any of the blanks that you are speaking of but it sounds to me like you made the right decision.
When they show up glue the tubes in and be sure and show all of us what you created![:D]

ldimick

Corey,

I have used predrilled Rockler acrylic blanks before and I had no problem with them. My only objection to buying pre-drilled blanks is that you don't necessarily get to choose the blank that you use. Some wood is blah, some is OK, and some is WOW!

Having said that I have often thought about hiring my kids to drill my blanks for me.
[}:)]

BTW, the snakeskin blanks you see floating around here are all pre-drilled.

challagan

Thanks guys for the info. I do want to buy blanks and then drill them evenutually, very cost effective if anything else but thought this was a good start.

Tomorrow, I build the mobile cart/bench for the lathe to set on. When the lathe finally shows up, I will be ready to rock and roll!

Corey

GBusardo

Hi Corey. The only problem I had when I used the pre drilled blanks was matching up the bottom to the top of the pen with respect to grain. I am assuming that the pre drilled blanks you will get are pre measured also.
What I did to make a vise for drilling my own blanks was to get a piece of 2x4, rip it in half, set my table saw to 45 degrees and cut a V into each board. Then I clamp the pen blank between the 2x4 while its on the drill press table. Now my press only has a two inch throw, so I have to slip a piece of scrap wood under my clamp and blank to finish the hole. Its a piece of cake to do and If you are not exactly in the center of the blank, no big deal, as long as there is enough wood to turn the pen. Another thing I did was build a small (6x5 ish box )dust hood out of 1/2 inch plywood. bored a hole to accept my shop vac, set it up on a 2x4 base. It really dont pick up the big chips, but you can see the fine dust get sucked right up.
I just started turning pens a month or so ago and I cannot believe how much fun it is.
Good Luck
Gary

Dario

Corey,

If you want I can help you out.

Name the wood you like and I'll pre-drill them for you (if I have them). Just tell me what kit they are for and I'll see if I have the drill size for it.

May take me a few days to fill an order though.

Ron Mc

Dario,
Can I get you to go ahead and glue my tubes in as well?[:D][;)]
It's things like this that keep me buying your wood.
very nice gesture!

mick

Dario, can you drill me some 5/8 blanks of any expensive wood you have for say some Churchills or some El Grandes?....[;)] Oh and as long as you're gluing Rons go aead and glue mine too! [:D]
<b>Seriously Dario, it's things like this that make this forum great! </b>[:)]

jkoehler

Your pen vice doesnt need to be one of the expensive ones.
i bought a cheap drill press vice and had my father-in-law make a new set of pads for it.
he took the original ones off and made me new ones out of aluminum with V's cut in them.
they could also be made out of wood.
i think the whole thing cost me $10 and it works great.
( and that is in Canadian money too )

Jeff

Corey - you won't be disapointed with any wood Dario sends you [:D]
Dario, if you drill the blanks I order they will weigh less; then you can fit more in the envelope and I'll buy more[;)]
Seriously though - I think your offer to Corey is a great gesture to help out someone just getting started. Congratulations.[:)]

challagan

Originally posted by Dario
<br />Corey,

If you want I can help you out.

Name the wood you like and I'll pre-drill them for you (if I have them). Just tell me what kit they are for and I'll see if I have the drill size for it.

May take me a few days to fill an order though.

Thanks guys much for the info, Dario,that is very kind of you, I will send you an email.

Corey

Dario

You guys are hilarious...I know some of you will do the same if I don't have a drilling set up and I ask [:)]

Drilling doesn't require too much extra effort anyway since my drill press is dedicated for it and the vise is permanently mounted already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom