Praise for Local Woodworking Shop

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

JasonF

I did a ton of research before I bought my lathe earlier this year. The one I decided on was a Shop Fox VS and was availible online for a good price and at my local (about 40 miles away) woodworking store, Woodworkers Paridise. The folks there are very helpful and I wanted to support a local biz, so I happily paid a little more for it.

I am VERY glad I did. I have been getting ready for my first show and wouldn't you know it, my lathe stopped working. I went through everything I knew to look at and figured I would have to send it off to be repaired. I called Woodworkers Paridise the next day and they said to bring it in and they would look at it. Turns out the switch was bad, so they took one off their display model and put it on mine. Works great again and I am back to getting more pens turned.

Sometimes it does cost less to pay a little more!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

melogic

Jason,
That is great to hear. I am in the process of replacing my midi lathe and am deciding between the Shop Fox VS and the Jet VS. How do you like the Shop Fox? I have a Shop Fox dealer about 20 minutes away and a Woodcraft for Jet about 2 hours away. If you wouldn't mind to give me a little feedback on the Shop Fox I would appreciate it.

NavyDiver

Mark,
The boys and I have a Shop Fox VS and love it. We got it off Ebay (open box but not used) and would highly recommend it. The only thing I don't like is that it doesn't have a turning wheel on the tail stock like the Jet, but for the price difference, I can easily live with that small inconvenience.

JasonF

I have been very pleased with the Shop Fox. The reasons I chose it:
1. Price-online about $115, at the store about $140.
2. 2 year waranty.
3. 1/3 HP instead of 1/4 HP on similar models.
4. I was able to use the demo at the store. Head/tail stock had good alignment and had no vibration at any speed.
5. Did I mention price? The Jet VS was about twice the price and I had other equipment I wanted to get, I was just starting out.

If I had more $, I would have gone with the Jet. I do hope to "sell" my way to a larger lathe within the next year or two.

One thing you might want to consider is that the Shop Fox has a #1MT and the Jet has a #2MT. Depending on your current set-up (I'm guessing your midi has a #2MT) you might have to buy new mandrel(s), 60 degree live center, etc. if you went with the Shop Fox.

Hope that helps. If I can answer anything else just let me know.

Originally posted by melogic
<br />Jason,
That is great to hear. I am in the process of replacing my midi lathe and am deciding between the Shop Fox VS and the Jet VS. How do you like the Shop Fox? I have a Shop Fox dealer about 20 minutes away and a Woodcraft for Jet about 2 hours away. If you wouldn't mind to give me a little feedback on the Shop Fox I would appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom