PRACTICE TURNINGS

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonyc53

HI GUYS,

it's only me again with a "Bright" question. When I start my practice turnings on scrap "lumber", would I need to insert tubes [not glued] in those "BLANKS" or could I just insert the mandrel through those empty blanks and turn as normal?

If the tubes are needed, I saw in Bill's tape that he uses a 9/32 drill which makes it easier to remove the 7mm tubes from the blank. I just don't wanna waste a tubeuntil I'm satisfied with my skills as a turner [8)] :D [8D]

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Try a 1/4" drill if you are going to use no tube.

If you do decide to glue in the tube and you don't like the way it looks, just turn off the wood. (I think this is a better idea)

tipusnr

Or use no mandrill (sp?) at all and practice spindle turning between centers (That's how I started). You can practice all of your cuts and even test shapes by turning the two ends and middle to the outside diameter of the bushings (this requires using a set of calipers).

The only problem is that if you find a shape you really like all you have is a shapely stick rather than pen blanks that are ready for assembly.

jrc

Tubes are .12 each from Berea. When I started making pens I bought 100 tubes and turned them all to practice. Don't try to save a buck, glue, trim and turn them is
the best way to start out.

its_virgil

The blanks can be turned with the tubes in but not glued and all will work just fine. I've done it too many times to count and never a problem....an all kits.
Do a good turnd daily!
Don
Originally posted by jrc
<br />Tubes are .12 each from Berea. When I started making pens I bought 100 tubes and turned them all to practice. Don't try to save a buck, glue, trim and turn them is
the best way to start out.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
In many cases, learning to "face" the blank is as important as turning it. I would agree, buy a bunch of tubes and do the whole process. If you're a quick learner, you may have have 10 good half pens (none of which match) out of your 100!!????[}:)][}:)][}:)][}:)]

Dario

Tony,

You worry over nothing...just as MDWine said...just do it the way a pen should be turned. If it is good enough you can assemble it...if not trim the wood until you have bare tube.

I doubt you will have any major problems.

As Nike and Coach would say...JUST DO IT! [;)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom