powered air sheilds

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trapshooter

Does anyone use powered air sheilds or respirators? Can you recommend one over the other?
When I use the masks or dust shields, my goggles fog up (anti-fog stuff does not work) or if I use safety glasses that don't fog up, my eyes still get irritated.

Any comments are appreciated before I spend the money on this.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rifleman1776

I don't use a powered mask. I use the Dust-Bee-Gone mask. It is a high-quality (for the price, I hope it's high quality [:)] ) cloth mask. It seems to do the job quite well. I have found I'm sensitive to Osage Orange and Red Cedar dust, this prevents sinus irritation. It does not fog glasses, that is part of their guarantee. However, when using the lathe and wearing a full face shield over the mask I will get some fogging. It costs about $35.00, just requires occasional washing.

M

Mudder

I use the Trend Airsheild.

It works very very well, but it is really expensive.

Expensive to the tune of over $300.00

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/cgi-bin/shopper?preadd=action&key=256-0500

I had found that even with a dust collector and an air cleaner running I was still suffering respiatory irritation from several woods so for me it is a necessary evil.

I have a Triton and I like it.

Trend is also a good one.

Triton is lighter.
Trend is cooler to wear in the summer.
Triton is better if you have a bread.

Downside on both, no matter what they say about how long the batteries last on a chrage, don't beleive them. I rebuilt the battery pack on my Triton. Before I was getting 2.5hrs on a charge now I'm getting better than 8hr on a charge.

http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1195
(you'll need five of these)

M

Mudder

Originally posted by Ron in Drums PA
<br />....Triton is better if you have a bread......

I'm curious about this Ron, When I first got the Trend I had a beard. Why is the Triton better in this case?

jwoodwright

I'm getting the Triton as well. The fact that it protects Head, Face, Ears, Lungs and has the drawstring closure. I've been on the receiving end of a turning that got tired of going round and launched.

Originally posted by Mudder
<br />

I'm curious about this Ron, When I first got the Trend I had a beard. Why is the Triton better in this case?

You get a better seal with the hood and drawstring that falls down around your neck past your beard. This is the same reason that the Triton is warmer in the summer.

fritzmccorkle

i have the trend airshield. it's a really nice product. awesome really. the only drawbacks for me are the added weight over a normal sheild and if you're using a ca finish that thing will suck the fumes right in.

Fangar

I use a full faced motorcycle helmet, shield down of course. I duct tape a nice seal around my neck. I drilled a 3/4" hole on the top and connected a pipe fitting that allows me to place a quick connect coupler to my air compressor. Works great. It also allows me to control the amount of helium that I introduce to my system. Really the key. All this while wearing my turning skirt might I add. [8)]

Fangar

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
<br />http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1195

Ron, thanks for the lead on the batteries... was getting ready to buy some NiMH for my digital at the local store and these are a lot less expensive and the same power output...

Originally posted by Fangar
<br />I use a full faced motorcycle helmet, shield down of course. I duct tape a nice seal around my neck. I drilled a 3/4" hole on the top and connected a pipe fitting that allows me to place a quick connect coupler to my air compressor. Works great. It also allows me to control the amount of helium that I introduce to my system. Really the key. All this while wearing my turning skirt might I add. [8)]

Fangar

ROTF!!!

Did you ever try deep sea diving with your helemt?

Fangar

ROTF!!!

Did you ever try deep sea diving with your helemt?

I did, but I had an issue as the helium kept making me float to the surface. Also, duct tape does not stick real well under water.

P.S. I'm not crazy... I never scuba dive in my turning skirt.[;)]

Fangar

M

Mudder

<br />
Originally posted by Mudder
<br />

You get a better seal with the hood and drawstring that falls down around your neck past your beard. This is the same reason that the Triton is warmer in the summer.

Okay,

Does the Triton have positive pressure like the Trend? It does take some getting used to because of the airstream rushing over your face.
I also see that the triton is now $50.00 cheaper than the trend and offers a hardhat and earmuffs. I have honestly never used or seen a triton close up so I'm very curious. If they are really close in what they do then the money issue should make the difference. $50.00 is a few pen kits......

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Mudder--Yes, the Triton is positive airflow. Yes, it takes some getting use to. Yes, the hardhat and earmuffs add value. I bought mine on sale for a little over $200. For that difference, I bought a LOT of kits. And Fritz, if you position your dust collector near your lathe when using CA, the fumes will be sucked into the DC and not your Triton. [8D]

IMO The earmuff are a waste, I wish I could take them off. But the hardhat came in handy once when a bowl blew up on me once.

If I didn't have a power helmet I really couldn't say which one I'd buy.

Another thing, the filters on the Triton are not US standard filters. I'm not sure if the Trend filters are. If they where, I'd buy a Trend, if they are not, I'd buy a Triton.

Trapshooter

Thanks for the input. At the time of my post, I have a "dust bee gone" on order. I will get a dust collector to put at my lathe and also try positioning my air cleaner closer.

Next time I am down to Woodcraft, I'll see if I can try one of the trend air units on. Columbus Oh price around $279.00.

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?DeptID=1114&FamilyID=4923

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom