Powdery Blank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

cbb007

I drilled a resin blank tonight and the inside of the blank was VERY powdery.

I dripped thin CA down the drill hole while rotating the blank to see if that will help the situation, but I suspect that when I turn this thing it will blow out all over the place.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Clay

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rangertrek

I ahve turned many home brew blanks from others at IAP and when drilling I get some powder material. I have not had any problems while turning or finishing. Use sharp, sharp, tools.

After pondering on this for a few minutes, it occurred to me, that I get 'dust' when my drillbits need a light sharpening .. then, if your feed rate, drilling speed, and everything else is just 'right', you will get really nice long ruffled shavings right out of the blank ... is the bit really sharp ??

cbb007

I got the blank from an IAP person. I'm not sure what the material is.

I can't say anything more except I got more than one of the same blank, and I hope they are not all like that.

I don't want to get on the wrong side of anyone, I was just curious if it was even worth my time to try to make something out of a blank like that, or if it does turn into a pen will there be durability problems with the pen in the future.

Not all polyester resins are created equal. That said, you already have the blanks, go ahead and turn them. If you want to, give one of the blanks a toss test and see how frangible the material is.

Again, use sharp tools and take light cuts.

ldb2000

The powdery blank is most likely a General Purpose Polyester resin . It will turn like any other PR blanks except it will turn to powder instead if streamers or shavings . I have used GP PR when I wanted a dark resin color with very shimmery highlights . It is just as strong as Simlar , and will turn very nicely , just a little messy (that powder gets all over everything . Use some form of dust protection) . Just turn and finish it like any other PR blank .

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
It is not unusual for a blank to drill with dust. I believe this is more dependent on the drill bit (NOT meant as a slam, I have dozens of bits and RARELY get ribbons when I drill). In any event, turn as usual. Dust does not indicate brittle.

Hope this helps. Take pics if you still have doubts - Dawn says you have purchased from US, we don't take this as criticism, it's an opportunity for both of us to learn!!!

Post it - NO PROBLEM!!!

Top Bottom