powdered stone

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chasper

I remember that one of the suppliers had a extensive offer of powdered stone. I know I can get turquoise, jet, malachite, lapis, and a few more from the bigger suppliers--AZMO and CSUSA, but I want some additional colors. Somebody has about 15-20 choices, but I can't seem to find them right now. Can somebody help please?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rherrell

I buy whole stones and crush them myself. Anything 6 or less on the hardness scale will work and it's nice to be able to make it as coarse or fine as YOU want. Here's where I buy mine: http://www.greatsouth.net/stones_for_woodturning.htm

Chasper

I could crush my own stone, I'm a lot better rockhound than penturner, I've got mineral speciments to crush. I just hate to destroy a good speciment, however, I'm pretty sure I have some $2 turquoise speciments that could be ground up and produce more powder than what is selling for 16.95.

I was looking for prepared powders because I had seen the red jasper powder and I needed some red. Red jasper is mohns 7 and that is a little hard. When I turn turquoise (mohns 5.6-6.0) powder that I've hardened with CA I dull my tools in a hurry. The red jasper is going to dull my tools in about three revolutions. The steel in bushings is equilivant to about the hardness of turquoise, hardened turning chisels are harder than 7.0, but they would dull in a hurry.

It looks like I just talked myself out of buying the powdered red jasper.

rherrell

I break off small pieces and put them in a metal 1/4 cup measuring cup and just start crushing using one of my larger transfer punches. Really not that difficult.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom