powder coating source

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rick1708

I'm starting to work on some aluminum pens. Been a bit cold in Chicago to work in to garage too much, but when I'm done with a couple, I'd like to get them either powder coated or anodized.

I've searched and found a great deal of discussion, but no actual sources. I'm sorry if I missed it in a prior thread, but does anyone have a source that is willing do an order as small as a couple of pens?

Thanks in advance.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Timebandit

If i recall,there is an article in the library about small scale powder coating at home.Not sure if you searched there,but give it a shot.

Edit:Found it

Attachments

• mann_powdercoating.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 641
Last edited:

jttheclockman

I'm starting to work on some aluminum pens. Been a bit cold in Chicago to work in to garage too much, but when I'm done with a couple, I'd like to get them either powder coated or anodized.

I've searched and found a great deal of discussion, but no actual sources. I'm sorry if I missed it in a prior thread, but does anyone have a source that is willing do an order as small as a couple of pens?

Thanks in advance.

Give CaptG a ring.

bbarter

powder coating is a very easy process. but i have found that aluminum can be tricky. Bacisly you need to get three things 1. a method of applying the powder itself, you can get some very cheap machines for around $100 and they will last a very long time 2. an oven to heat the metal to around 400 F. 3. powder usally polyester but there are others

With aluminum I have found that pre heating the metal for 5-7 mins works best, wipe with paint thinner then coat with your color of choice, bake for 10 mins

As for the machine set up, put powder in cup for the gun, attach negitive leed to metal part, hook an air supply to powder coating gun, turn power on and spray 16-18" from part until evenly coated.

Look up columbia coatings out of tennessee

hope this helps

Sylvanite

I presume you mean powder-coat in clear. If you're still after that, drop me a note and I'll see what I can do. I think anodizing would be a better choice, though. Anodized aluminum still looks like metal. Powder-coated aluminum looks like metal-colored plastic.

Regards,
Eric

Penultimate

I worked with a powder coater in St. Charles, Il many years ago. There should be a lot of services in the Chicagoland area.

However, for less than $200 including powder and accessories you can set up your own powder coating system without a compressor. The gun shown in the link below works quite well and for pens you would only need a toaster oven that reaches 400F. I've used it and a friend uses for custom parts on his cars and boats. You might even be able to find he Craftsman version for less.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/XYZ-01-07100/

Craftsman version
http://cgi.ebay.com/CRAFTSMAN-POWDE...aultDomain_0&hash=item45f88df780#ht_500wt_949

Top Bottom