Powder Coating Help Needed

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Stevej72

I am having a problem with my powder coating, and getting a nice smooth surface. This is an El Grande Streamline FP that has two different size tubes in the cap. I messed up the wood blank I and can't seem to find that kit anymore so decided to turn some aluminum and PC it. I used Columbia Coatings Prismatic Black. I couldn't get a picture to show it well, but it looks really nice exept that it isn't smooth.

I don't know if I had too much powder on it, didn't bake it long enough or baked it too long.

20082817201_02%2008%2008_0252_edited-1.jpg

200828172023_02%2008%2008_0255_edited-1.jpg

This picture is from Columbia's website and is more how the pen actually looks.
20082817210_PB000_image.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alphageek

Former Moderator
FYI - if you can change title you might want to... I read that at PC ie computer.. You might get the wrong people looking to help!

Firefyter-emt

My first thought is not enough heat to flow. Did you A) have the oven/toaster up to temp before you baked it? Did you use an oven therometer or just the dial? B)Did you follow the temp on the bottle of powder and the baking flow out / bake times? C) Did you have an "under coat" on it?? You will get a rougher coat when you do 2 coats if you don't "hot flock" the second coat while the undercoat is still hot.

It kind of stinks that you went ahead and put it togather, but if you knock it apart, you can sand it down with MM and polish it like a CA finish and have a glass finish when you are done.

Top Bottom