Powder Coating

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
I haven't done pen parts like clips and nibs, but it works great with the clear PC for brass casings for 30 and 50 cal bullet pens. Don't see why you couldn't pen parts.

jttheclockman

Years ago, on the old Yahoo pen turning group, a couple of the guys had experimented with powder coating metal pen parts (clips, center bands, nibs, etc.). If I remember correctly, they used a powder coating system like the one from Harbor Freight, and baked the parts in a toaster oven. Has anyone here ever tried this?

Powder Coating Gun with 10-30 PSI Powder Coating System

I too have used this system on cartridge pens. No reason it can not be used on parts that you make such as clips and center bands.

rd_ab_penman

I use Krylon Dual Superbond Flat Black and bake at 350F for 3 hours.

Les

DSC02605%20Custom.jpg

jttheclockman

The great thing about powdercoating is you can get any color you want from candy apple colors to flats to clear to gloss. Not a hard process at all. :)

KenV

Powder coat a pen clip and then let's talk.

[QwUOTE=jttheclockman;1862347]
Only negative to powder coating is that it is thick -- especially compared to metal plating.

Debateable:)

Don't do metal plating but I guess it is so. But duability is a good thing.[/QUOTE]

jttheclockman

Powder coat a pen clip and then let's talk.

[QwUOTE=jttheclockman;1862347]
Only negative to powder coating is that it is thick -- especially compared to metal plating.

Debateable:)

Don't do metal plating but I guess it is so. But duability is a good thing.
[/QUOTE]
Will take your word for it because I am not in my shop till the end of the year if at all. Go for it.:):):):) As I said I do not do metal plating such as Brad does so I have no way of comparing if i wanted to.

Last edited:

Phil Dart

I'm not sure that powder coating a nib would be terribly successful. If you're going to coat a nib it needs to be done before the tip is applied and before the slit and breather hole are cut in to it.

qquake

If I remember correctly, one of the problems was that some of the components are clear coated to protect the finish. I think they have to be stripped before applying the powder.

Phil Dart

I'm not sure that powder coating a nib would be terribly successful. If you're going to coat a nib it needs to be done before the tip is applied and before the slit and breather hole are cut in to it.

Slit and breather hole?
I believe he is referring to a fountain pen nib.

"Two nations divided by a common language". A nib in the UK is implicit that it's referring to a fountain pen. I see my error now. You didn't mean powder coat the nib did you?? You meant powder coat the nib!!:laugh:

Top Bottom