potential large order...have questions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

The Penguin

I made 2 pens for corporate gifts a few weeks ago.

my boss - the kind of guy that likes to wait to the last minute for everything - asked today it would be possible to make 50 to 100 pens and have the laser engraved and ready for delivery by December 3.

the good news (if any) is that they are Sierra Elegant Beauty pens...the bad news...Stan at Happy Turners is going out of town and I'd have to have them to him by Nov 10.

so - 100 pens in about 30 days? I guess it's possible.

now for the questions...

1. Is there any place that offers a better price than $11 per component set? That is Berea's price and I can't seem to find anyone that has it cheaper.

2. He likes the single walnut and/or maple box from Woodcraft : Buy Single Walnut Case at Woodcraft - obviously I need 100 boxes. I would like to find a supplier for a similar box at a better price. Any suggestions?

3. Is it worth it to try to set up and use a metal lathe for this? I have access to one...I was thinking to drill, glue up, then have my stepson and wife help by rough turning to size, then taking the barrels to the metal lathe for the final cut so all the pens are consistent. Is that a reasonable plan of action?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Texatdurango

I don't know about the laser engraving time but as far as making these little pens, 20 per day wouldn't be too much of an effort for one person so five days would get you your 100 pens.

Last week I was rearranging things and found a ton of kits in a box so I decided to put some together. The ones I chose were the Aero pens from Craft Supply, similar to the Sierra elegant beauties I think and before I knew it I had drilled, glued, turned and assembled a dozen of them... in just a few hours.

I have a metal lathe and used it BUT....... I don't think it saved me any time, just gave some really straight blanks. I could have turned them down with a skew probably as fast if not faster.

Back when I was doing a lot of kits I would call Ernie at Beartooth woods and tell him I needed 50 or 100 kits and he always gave me the best price available elsewhere. That would be what I would do.

The Penguin

I already emailed both Exotic Blanks and Berea.

EB doesnt have enough in stock...I need 100 of the black ti/gold

Berea does not offer discounts on this set.

Thats why I was asking --about other suppliers

Wood Butcher

Local Chapter Leader
Congrats on the "problem" you have. A few years ago I received an order for 50 Sierra pens made of acrylic acetate, engraved and in maple boxes. I planned and planned some more, I called Ernie at Beartooth Woods and he put together pricing and helped with the details. Prices were super good and so were the blanks he supplied. They were all delivered and in one afternoon I drilled, tubed and turned all 50. I'm now having Woodturningz do my engraving and they are good, reasonable and quick. I did my own filling with black acrylic art paint (2 coats) and got the boxes from Ernie too. It was profitable at a little over $3500. Everyone was pleased and I expect more orders as a result.
WB

nava1uni

I use Kallenshan for engraving. I sent them 50 pens on a Monday and had them back by the following Monday and he gave me a great rate. I turned the pens in 4 days after work and the only problem was that I got bored doing it. I had to pay better attention toward the end due to the hypnotizing effect.

KBs Pensnmore

Congratulations on the order. After I got my order for a hundred pens, I thought that I would be able to do them real quick, but like Cindy says it gets very hypnotizing and quality falls of a bit if not careful.:mad:
Mine were fat slims (2 piece) so that did make a difference.
Kryn

Jjartwood

Computers are nice but I would suggest a phone call,a million people probably ask about
volume pricing so a phone call would show just how serious you are.
Congrats on the order,just build them 1 step at a time and before you realize it you'll
be done.

ttpenman

I have done a couple orders for a 100 pens (Parker style, screw caps)and I have to agree that boredom is a real issue. I would do about 20 in a batch and the first couple were a piece of cake. But, the last couple batches were really hard to manage. Was getting real tired of the same thing over and over.

Good luck -- nice job but not a piece of cake.

BTW -- no reason you can't buy from more than one supplier. If one has 50 and another has 50 (or whatever) A bit more shipping but not a big deal.

Jeff in northern Wisconsin

The Penguin

Well, it's done.

Made final delivery of the pens today. Both the bosses are happy. They handed out a few last night at a client meeting and the clients were pleased also.

I also made a special pen for the pres. and VP of the company as a "thank you" for the order and for entrusting me to uphold the company's image with our clients.

and now for a few IAP thank yous that I need to send out (in no particular order):

MsequiteMan for selling me the ugliest (yea, right) blanks I've ever seen. I think he raided his personal stash...and thanks for prodding me to try turning them between centers. Works like a charm!

mrcook4570 (Stan Cook @ happyturners.com) - for all the laser work

GerberMike - he's a new member here that I've known for a few years off the forum. He came by one day and without my asking...set up my disk sander for blank-squaring and helped rough turned a bunch of pen blanks.

rherrell set me up a some new tool rests for my Jet mini and a sanding mill

and johnnycnc got my TBC needs taken care of with new bushings and drive center.

and everyone else - thanks for your words of encouragement and tips posted here and by PM's for "production mode" turning.

Now I need a break!

The Penguin

Here's 10.

I'm not pulling them all out of their boxes for photos. :)

Attachments

• image-3220267691.jpg
    image-3220267691.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 142
Top Bottom