postable vs. nonpostable

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

randywa

I've got some Triton kits and some are postable, some non postable. Is there a preference? Is one a better carry pen and one a better desk pen? It was something I didn't think about when I ordered, but I'm curious now. Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I've got some Triton kits and some are postable, some non postable. Is there a preference? Is one a better carry pen and one a better desk pen? It was something I didn't think about when I ordered, but I'm curious now. Thanks.
My personal preference is postable. I 've only sold 6 FP's, all postable, probably because that's all I carry.

A postable pen can be used non post., but a non post. can't be used postable unless you push the cap on the end. It would seem to me there is a danger of it falling off that way and being lost, or marking the non-post end of the pen eventually. My opinion, only!

its_virgil

Postable or nonpostable...that is the question. Who has the answer? Our customers have the answer! What we personally like doesn't matter if we are selling. What the customer likes does matter. If your inventory only has one type you will miss sales to those who like the other. You need both postable and nonpostable available. I think the same is true for pens turned totally bushing to bushing and those which have a slight bulgebetween the bushings. We need both or sales will be missed. I wonder why auto dealers don't have just one model in one color? Think about it.
Do a good turn daily!
don

zig613

Personally, I like the looks of the non-postal JR Gent II. BUT with that said, the vast majority (over 95%) of the JR Gent II that I have sold are postable.

Wade

Parson

Fountain pen users tolerate/don't mind non-posable more than roller ball users due to balance issues. But all my buyers attempt to post the pen cap on a non-postable kit even after I educate them. I rarely make non-postable pens now for sale. I'm even shying away from closed ended pens for this reason.

OKLAHOMAN

A few years ago the Jr. Gent and Jr Statesman were available as non postable only and when CSUSA came out with the postable versions sales tripled. I still will make a few non postable pens but as has been said a postable pen can be used non postable but a non postable can only be used as non postable.

soligen

Personally, I buy only postable kits, then close the end if I want to make a non-postable pen. Of course, I sell very little, and almost all I do sell have been custom ordered, so flexibility is what is right for me.

Dan_F

I never post a kit pen - makes it twice as heavy and throws the balance way off. Commercial fountain pens are a different story, most will balance just fine posted, because they don't have all of that metal in the cap, and they are much lighter to begin with. I'm sure I'm the odd man out here, just thought this outlook should be represented. I guess it depends on whether you want to sell or use the pen. If you want a user, at least try a non postable, I bet you will come to prefer it, especially if you do much writing.

Dan

Last edited:

Fibonacci

Thanks for the replies. I honestly couldn't think of a need for a nonpostable.

The problem with postable pens is that the post is almost always huge and ugly.

The only two exceptions that I can think of are the magnetic zen from CSUSA/Dayacom and the classic fountain pen from Timberbits.

Chasper

There is a place for both. I have a non-posting pen on my desk at work. I use it often, but seldom take it out of my office, it isn't a great carrying pen but it is a great writer. If I were going to hand write a full page or two I would definitely use a non posting fountain pen.

Occasionally a fountain pen purist looks over my pens and scoffs at all the postable pens. More than once I've heard "real fountain pen users don't use postable pens." I tend to agree with these purists and I feel some smugness about personally having a preference for non posters. However, for me postable pens greatly outsell non posters. Most users can't imagine that they would leave the cap laying on their desk while they use the pen. I definitely have a preference for non posting pens, but my true love is the cash that I get for postable cap pens. I prefer postable pens for one reason, they sell better.

Top Bottom