Postable roller Ball Pen Without Threads?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

brez

I have had a request from a customer for a postable rollerball pen without threads. I have sold him a Zen in the past (which has a magnetic cap) and he would like something else if possible.

Thanks
Mike

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

redfishsc

The Americana is a nice pen, has a beautiful shape, and writes very well. I made one a year or so ago and it lasted about 3 months before the snap mechanism gave way.

My wife had one that she had used even longer (close to 8 months if I recall correctly) and the snap broke on it too.

The other issue with the Americana is that the cap itself has an exposed brass tube where you insert the nib (or the posting stud on the other end) and the brass tube will, over repeated postings, scratch the plating. It doesn't seem to happen as much on the nib end as it does the post end.

While I'm a HUGE fan of the overall feel and look of the Americana, but those two issues above keep me from carrying it as a stock pen.

On the up side, CSA refunded both of those pens-- as well as accepted a return/refund on several unused Americana kits--- without a single hesitation.

Thus far, the only non-threaded RB that I will use/make is the Zen. I surely wish there were more pens that used threads like you find on the Churchill/El Grande since those are the only two types of kits that I've made that will NOT come unscrewed in your pocket and leave a big black ink stain on your hip and clothes.

redfishsc

I've never seen an El Grande that was not a screw-cap. I've not made a Cambridge so I can't comment on that one. Is there a new variety of El Grande that isn't a threaded cap?

(BTW obviously excluding the El Grande twist pen, which I LOVE).

EDIT: Brez, I've made several El Grandes (since they updated the coupler with metal instead of the cheesy plastic) and I honestly cannot remember how the post works. In fact, I've never once tried to post an El Grande since I have only made them closed-end. However, I will say that they are NOT threaded, so IF........IF the cap will actually post, it's only a slip fit.

redfishsc

Thanks for the info on the Americana. I have also found the Artisan kit from CSUSA Has anybody had experience with the Artisan?

Thanks
Mike

I spoke with one of the big kahunas at CSUSA about the Artisan (when I was returning the broken Americanas) and he told me that it worked just like the Americanas.

My stepfather has an Artisan that someone gave him as a gift several years ago, and it still works fine. However, he's 70+ years old and has Alzheimers, and rarely uses the pen. I think it mostly sits on the desk in his collectible-stuff room. I personally like the look/feel of that little pen but I want them to update the snap mech (and offer something other than 10/24K gold) before I carry it.

j_b_fischer

Local Chapter Leader
That's correct. That cap screws onto the body to close the pen, ben when in use the cap slides onto the post (no threads). One of my complaints about this pen (I have two), is just that ... the cap slides onto the post, and it 'slides' (or pops) off in the middle of writing. At least, it does this when the pen is new. I've been told this problem mellows with pen usage.

My other complaint is the pastic center coupler doesn't fit tightly enough and I've had to use a touch of CA (and yes, I once glued a pen shut). I've not made one recently, so I'll have to check out the recent change that Brez mentioned.

I've never seen an El Grande that was not a screw-cap. I've not made a Cambridge so I can't comment on that one. Is there a new variety of El Grande that isn't a threaded cap?

(BTW obviously excluding the El Grande twist pen, which I LOVE).

EDIT: Brez, I've made several El Grandes (since they updated the coupler with metal instead of the cheesy plastic) and I honestly cannot remember how the post works. In fact, I've never once tried to post an El Grande since I have only made them closed-end. However, I will say that they are NOT threaded, so IF........IF the cap will actually post, it's only a slip fit.

Top Bottom