postable or not, that is the question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sbell111

I am considering ordering some Jr Gent IIs to expand the types of pens that we offer for sale. However, I'm not sure whether to order the 'postable' or 'non-postable' kits. Which do your customers prefer?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ashaw

I say 80% of my customers what a postable pen. Just make sure when you assemble that the clip faces the nib when posted otherwise it will not sell.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Alan,

Isn't the post also a three position start? So, it should come close to lining up in at least ONE position, shouldn't it??

(I have never paid attention to this aspect of assembly)

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
The following is a personal opinion that is probably shared by nobody.

Whether a pen is used with the cap "posted", depends on the pen, and how much writing I do with it. There is one big difference between a kit pen and a commercial pen, and that is balance.

The difference in the balance of a kit pen and a commercial pen is very noticeable.

50% or more of the weight of a kit pen is in the cap. Add the weight of the post on the end of the pen, and 70% of the weight of the kit pen is waving around in the air above my hand as I write. It makes for an unbalanced pen that I have to grip tighter to control on the paper. The tighter grip is very tiring on the fingers if I write a lot with it.

About 25% of the total weight of a good commercial pen is in the cap, and there is no extra fitting to make the posting possible. That makes for a better balance and a looser grip on a pen that is easier to control on the paper. The looser grip is less tiring to use.

eskimo

I agree with Russ about the weight and balance issue, however, there is no accounting for taste. I've had the bulk of my customers want postable caps. They always have the option of leaving the cap on the desk if the weight or balance is uncomfortable. Too often I've heard the remark, "I'll lose the cap if I can't screw it on the back.", so I only do postable pens now except by special order.

Top Bottom