To Post or Not To Post

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Those that make 2 piece pens, do you make postable or non-postable styles and why??? Do you choose your kits on the looks or because they are postable or nonpostable??? If you are selling your pens (stupid statement:)) Do your customers prefer one over the other???

I want to start getting into trying my hand at some fountain pens and so far the only 2 piece pens I make are all postable and going under the theory that the cap will get lost if not postable. Not sure about that theroy any more because I have talked to some customers who said they do not post the cap and just either hold it in their hand or set it aside. Have not sold enough to get a true feel of how the buying public feels on this. What do you all say???:confused:

Thanks and have a great day.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bgibb42

I don't know about the buying public, but most of the people I've shown my pens prefer it to be postable. Personally, I almost never post my pens. Too top heavy for me. For the majority of pens, I would think that having the option to post is better though, because buyers would be able to use the pen any way they like.

glycerine

From my experience, most everyone that looks at my pens tries to post the cap whether it's postable or not... that really has nothing to do with what sells best, because I happen to make more postable pens, but just found it interesting that everyone just assumes that the cap should somehow fit on the end of the pen...
I know, that wasn't much help, just an observation of mine.

John Eberly

Postable vs not

"Postable" pens allow you to remove the cap from the nib end and either by threads or friction fit "post" it on the opposite end. This connects all parts of the pen into one unit for writing.

The "non-postable" pen does not have threads or a suitably sized diameter opposite the nib to allow the cap to be posted.

I like the smooth end of a closed end pen and don't care about posting the cap. I think most of the threaded postable kit barrel ends look kind of cheesy, so I usually make non-postable pens.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
When I was selling pens at shows, the Gents and larger, no need to post. The smaller pens, post.

But, it could be a regional thing, too.

BigguyZ

My best customer hates non-postable pens. She was looking at a Churchill, and she was playing around with it and said how you could still post the cap even without threads. She then proceeded to shove the cap on top of the receiver, and I'm thinking to myself "At least the threads are delrin, and won't mark the receiver... But I hope they aren't damaged either!".

I was thinking of buying non-postables from CUSA, but I'll continue to stick to post-only for the pens that have the option.

gervmn

Hi John, mabe you can help me. just joined AIP and don't know how to post a new thread. don't know what to click on. Vic

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Hi John, mabe you can help me. just joined AIP and don't know how to post a new thread. don't know what to click on. Vic
Go to "forum" at the very top of this page, click on it.
Choose the forum you want to post in, ie "Casual Conversation"-click on it. Top left, above the threads says "new thread" -click on it. After that, it is pretty self-explanatory.

OKLAHOMAN

In doing shows for the last 3 years, all my "regular" sized pens are postable, giving the customer the option of useing it either way. Of course my "larger" (Emperor,Lotus.Imperial,etc.)are non postable. I do carry non postable finals in my repair kit in 3 platings and if the customer tells me "I wish this pen was non postable and I would BUY it" I can change out the treaded final for the non threaded one. This has only happen twice in 3 years over 50 shows.

jttheclockman

We are getting alot of good thoughts here both for and not.

It was brought up by one poster that having threads for posting are "cheesy looking" Do others find this to be the case???:confused:
Do you use non postable in the higher end kits and postable in the mid range kits?? Would that be a criteria to follow???

I am not familar with any friction fit caps where no threads are involved and it can then be posted by slipping on top of the pen. Is there any kits available???:rolleyes:
:confused:
Was there not a magnetic cap pen kit where the cap is held on with a magnet and thus can be slipped on top and held also by a magnet??? :rolleyes::confused:

cbb007

We are getting alot of good thoughts here both for and not.

It was brought up by one poster that having threads for posting are "cheesy looking" Do others find this to be the case???:confused:
Do you use non postable in the higher end kits and postable in the mid range kits?? Would that be a criteria to follow???

I am not familar with any friction fit caps where no threads are involved and it can then be posted by slipping on top of the pen. Is there any kits available???:rolleyes:
:confused:
Was there not a magnetic cap pen kit where the cap is held on with a magnet and thus can be slipped on top and held also by a magnet??? :rolleyes::confused:

John,

Penn State has the Olympian II Elite in fountain pen or rollerball and it is a friction postable pen. See http://woodturning.pennstateind.com/search/index?query=olympian2+elite+pen

Penn State also has a Traditional pen that snaps on to post it. If you get this one be REAL careful with the snap-on part! DAMHIKT See
http://woodturning.pennstateind.com/search/index?query=pk10-fp2&x=14&y=8

The magnetic pen kit is the Zen by Craft Supplies USA, it is only a rollerball.

PenMan1

My postables sell 25 to 1 over the non-postables. NOW, if the mfgs would just get rid of the black plastic threads on the gold kits!

Top Bottom