To post, or not to post.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Randy Simmons

This is a topic I have discussed at length with some of my buddies and family, and I decided to let the IAP have the last word. What is your preference (or more importantly, your customers' preference?) a pen that has a posting cap, or one that doesn't?
I like the posting cap because it gives you somewhere to put it, but it can make the pen topheavy and uncomfortable, but I also like the non-posting cap because it looks a little more elegant and retains the pen's balance.

What do you think??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

CKormann

Personally, I prefer non-posting for the reasons you stated. Aesthetically I am also not in love with the the exposed threaded cap that is needed for the post. That said, lots of people like posting caps so they don't lose them, so I will make what the buyer wants.

Chris

plantman

:confused::confused: I think it would be 6 of one, and a half dozen of the other !! My wife likes pens that post, but no matter if they press on or screw on, she always has two pieces in her purse. This tells me that other people are having the same trouble. If someone should happen to lose half of an exotic or one of a kind cast pen, it may be hard to duplicate. I personaly like the look and feel of a two piece pen. It gives me the notion that it is a writeing instrument that is handcrafted and not machine made. I guess the best answer would be a two piece twist or click pen with a larger top that looks like it comes apart. Just my idea. Everybody has different tastes !! Thank goodness !! Jim S

Last edited:

Bowl Slinger

I like them both for very different reasons. I do not like to write with a posting cap pen but do like that they are more elegant. If I were planning a project for something as significant as an American Chestnut planted by George Washington, I would certainly honor it with an American made elegant capped kit.

Lenny

I think it's size dependent. As an example the Majestic is a large pen better suited to writing without the cap hence it comes non postable. The Majestic Jr. is smaller and suitable for writing with the cap on or without, your choice.
I agree with the fact seeing the threads on some of the postable pens can be distracting to the overall appearance. Everything has trade offs.

I prefer non-postable, but as many here said, do what your customer wants.
I friend of mine told me that whenever she lends a pen, she always keep the cap with her. That way they will not go with her pens. :rolleyes::cool::biggrin:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
It is unlikely someone will buy an "historic pen" for daily use!! MORE likely they are buying it to add to a collection or use as a display. Hence functionality (posting) becomes very secondary to "beauty".

I would definitely make it non-posting. (But I would also be likely to make a full size pen, rather than a junior---your pen is YOUR choice---this is just my opinion!!!)

mrcook4570

I almost never post the cap on a pen that I am using. However, the majority of the capped pens that I make are posting. Most of my customers like having the option to post the cap.

GoodTurns

I prefer the look of non-posting but I have seen much more demand for posting pens this season. I just ordered a pretty big batch of kits and went exclusively with posting as that has been where the demand has been. This gives the option of posting or not....better utility.

Charlie_W

(Now lets say you were making a pen out of american chestnut planted by george washington. post or no post?)

Closed End barrel for sure. Non postable.

jzerger

I never post when I use my rollerball or fountain pens. However, sometimes the threads for posting just make the pen look better. Virtually every potential (or real customer) immediately tries to post so say they want one that posts...even though, in practice, they admit they won't post it. I do too...not sure why though. Give the people what they want I guess...doesn't need to make sense.

Dulos

Here is what I would like to see. I want a postable pen with a small and light cap so that it doesn't affect the balance of the pen. Why doesn't someone make a kit like that?

Top Bottom