Post CA application fix

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Tiger

I'm not sure that much can be done but I'll ask the question. I've noticed that a couple of my pens that have had a CA finish have a small section where the CA has not adhered or I've inadvertently missed a spot. I can't cover the unfinished areas with the pen clip so is there anything I can do to fix this without having to dissassemble the pens and redo the CA finish, another finish which can disguise the bare spot?

leehljp

Member Liaison
I'm not sure that much can be done but I'll ask the question. I've noticed that a couple of my pens that have had a CA finish have a small section where the CA has not adhered or I've inadvertently missed a spot. I can't cover the unfinished areas with the pen clip so is there anything I can do to fix this without having to dissassemble the pens and redo the CA finish, another finish which can disguise the bare spot?

First, the answers below is not what you want to hear about the current problem. However it will and can help in prevent it in the future. It WILL happen more unless you know the problem and try to avoid it. This is more or less an experience issue on the surface. How to fix the current pens is at the bottom.

Two basic reasons for this:
1. The pen is out of round figuratively, or not concentric technically. You apply CA, fine sand it off in spots without noticing (it until it is assembled). You maybe wax it. It shines for a little while and you don't notice. Then the wax, or very very thin CA wears off. It is not that it does not adhere, it is that it is too thin or worn off.
2. Not enough CA thickness.

Are you using a mandrel? Sounds like it. Several issues with a mandrel but they can be overcome. Out of round, (technically not concentric) and this is more of an issue with sanding pressure or tail stock too tight, or mandrel nut too tight or blank not square or flexing mandrel or ever so slightly bent mandrel.

If any one of these (or two) is/are the culprit, you are sanding more on one side than the other because of a mechanical problem listed above - and the finish is less or none existent (wax only) and wears off.

Get a set of calipers from Harbor freight or somewhere else. Get metal ones, $15 - $20 on sale. MEASURE your turned / sanded blank, then measure again after applying CA. Measure again after turning sanding the CA. Measure the nib, center ring, clip end and make sure you have thick enough CA to make it fit evenly with those three areas.

This will cover some of the problems if the out of concentricity is no more than 3 or 4/1000 of an inch. BTW, Measure the turned blank and then rotate the blank 90° and measure again. It should be the same but if it is 2 or 4 or 6 1/1000 inch difference, then it is not concentric and you will have high spots and low spots. The high spots will have a tendency to be sanded off when CA is applied. I'll be you didn't think pen turning could be this complicated when you started. Neither did the rest of us! :biggrin:

How to fix the couple of pens:
A great way to learn more about the pen problem is learning to Disassemble and fix. This is as much about prioritizing your goals: How many pens can you make versus how well can you make each pen. Which is more important?

Take the time and learn how to dis-assemble and fix the problem. MOst people here get some Harbor Freight punches to disassemble their pens. If you really like pen turning, you need a set of punches. You will have the need to disassemble a pen from time to time. It isn't that difficult.

After disassembly, Put the blanks back on the mandrel or TBC if you are turning without a mandrel. Sand down or turn down just a tad. Measure the amount of turning with the calipers. Re-apply CA and build up the CA level.

This is common among the experienced turners here. You don't get professional quality without messing up a few - or a lot :rolleyes: and then learning how to fix them, which does require dis-assembly.

Tiger

Thanks Hank for that detailed and very helpful reply. I have been turning for some time and have disassembled a few pens in my time, was hoping that there might be a way to fix these without having to disassemble and reapply the CA, inside I knew that there probably wasn't however I've thought that before and someone on this forum has been able to find a solution that I would never have thought of. Love the suggestion regarding the calipers, I regularly use calipers but not as an analytical tool as you've suggested, it has inspired me enough to disassemble the pen and check it out.
I do use both TBC and the mandrel, I have got out of round with both systems but far less so with TBC it just takes a little bit of CA/grit on the drive centers to throw concentricity out.

GDGeorge

...This is as much about prioritizing your goals: How many pens can you make versus how well can you make each pen. Which is more important?...

This really hit home. I think we all go through phases of "buck fever" and try to hurry a pen (or two) through the process just to get it done for whatever reason. But the real reward is seeing a well-done project and showing it off, knowing the quality of the work, afterwards.

Jerry
echo4golf

Top Bottom