Possible new allergy

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jtdesigns

I have a horrible sensitivity to Lacewood (especially the oilier varieties) and now won't even touch it. Last time eyes and throat swelled up so bad it scared the crap out of me. I was working on a segmented pen using Bubinga, Black Palm, Ebony, and a new to me species....Quina. I have turned the others before but not Quina. Now I have similiar swelling (not as bad) on face, neck, back of hands, and well let's just say a place you really don't want it:eek:(yes, I did wash my hands after going to the bathroom but evidently not enough to eliminate the oils). Anyone else experience this?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

soccer2010

I cut some lacewood 2 months ago and got a terrible itch. One eye was almost swelled shut. The garage has been cleaned out but whenever I go in, I get an itchy rash but not as bad as 2 months ago. I have not been doing any woodworking lately.

I don't have a problem with lacewood, but I did get into something last spring that gave me hives all over my chest and stomach... I was turning in a tank top and I guess between the sweat and the sawdust on the skin, I got a dose.... I've since bought a smock from Lee Valley, it's relatively light weight with knit cuffs at the wrists, a velcro tab that seals the neck and zippered almost to the knees... no problems since I started wearing it.... it does get kinda warm in the summer, but I'd rather sweat a bit than have that itch again.

Lenny

Had a similar experience recently with Cocobolo. Ended up on Prednisone for a couple of weeks to knock it out of me. Thanks to responses from Fred and Cindy (nava1uni) among others, I was convinced I had better do a better job of preventing any dust getting remotely near me. I got a better dust collector w/1 micron bag but still need to improve the hood. Added a respirator, wear a jacket, and still I'm a little apprehensive. Just residual dust left from the cocobolo/bubinga I turned that day is enough to make me start feeling itchy again. I've only turned one pen since that day. Really need to give the area an overall vacuuming before I'll feel comfortable again.

Fred

Lenny .. It might also help you to get a friend in your shop and let him/her clean your filters as best as possible. Even the fine particulates in the filter material will be enough to set you off again.

There is always something that will pass through the filter material and get back on you. I would take the DC outside and away from the shop and let them blow out the filters. Blow into each and every pleat and blow carefully from the outside of the filter back to the "dirty side" and take your/their time and get it all.

Reassemble the DC outside and turn it on and let it run for q bit to reset anything that still may be hiding from your efforts.

Lastly, get rid of that wood that is causing you problems. Sell it here or trade it to those that may not be sensitive to using it.

I really hope that you do get over the problems you are having and can get back to turning ASAP.

Let us all know how you are doing and the progress you are making. :biggrin:

Top Bottom