Is it possible to get wood from Syria?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I want to make a very generous doctor at our clinic a high end fountain or possibly rollerball pen. He's from Syria and I'd like to use a wood from his homeland. Is it even possible to purchase wood from Syria? I've done some searches and have come up empty handed. If not I'll use a species from the Mediterranean region, recommendations are welcome. Without going into detail he was very generous to the over 30 employees we have, and I think this would be a thoughtful way to show my appreciation. Thanks for any help.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

There are a number of tree species from that region which names we are fairly familiar with, you can import wood (clean) from that region, there are people selling woods from there on eBay and even here on IAP, you may need to find out which tree species from his country he likes the most and then try to find a seller, with a species name, you may get offers for sale of woods of the same name/species but not from that region or even country, it all depends of how important is to have a few pen blanks from trees grown in Syria or wood of the same name but grown elsewhere.

Google search results , http://www.israel21c.org/the-top-10-most-amazing-trees-in-israel/

Cheers
George

farmer

Off the top of my head

I want to make a very generous doctor at our clinic a high end fountain or possibly rollerball pen. He's from Syria and I'd like to use a wood from his homeland. Is it even possible to purchase wood from Syria? I've done some searches and have come up empty handed. If not I'll use a species from the Mediterranean region, recommendations are welcome. Without going into detail he was very generous to the over 30 employees we have, and I think this would be a thoughtful way to show my appreciation. Thanks for any help.

The principal woodland trees are Pinus brutia, the Turkish pine; Abies cilicica, the Cilician fir; Cedrus libani, the cedar of Lebanon; Cupressus sempervirens, the Mediterranean cypress; Pinus halepensis, the Aleppo pine; Quercus coccifera, the kermes oak; Quercus calliprinos, the Palestine oak; Quercus cerris sp. pseudocerris, the Turkey oak; Quercus infectoria; and Castanea sativa, the common chestnut.

rudya7

Syria is the 4th largest producer of Olive Oil in the world. Olive wood is a great pen turning wood. I hope someone there is doing something with the trimmings ,similar to what you can buy from Israel.

Thanks for the replies. I'd really like to get a piece from Syria but it looks like I'll be going with either Olivewood or Lebanon Cedar from somewhere else.

farmer

Syria

Thanks for the replies. I'd really like to get a piece from Syria but it looks like I'll be going with either Olivewood or Lebanon Cedar from somewhere else.

1% of Syria is wooded land If I read and understood correctly 200.000 acers of forest ............... ( that is it )
I have never been to Syria, I have studied the trees native to Israel .

I am very sure that Acacia trees grow in Syria,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acacia
Acacia trees and bushes have a ton of history in the bible ....
As is the thorns wrapped around Christ head.
And when Abrahams goat or sheep's heads got caught in a bush.
Funny that it happened at the same place except 1200 years separated the two incidents ..

Gabon ebony Wood was imported into Syria from the Congo as the best or finest woods to be used in furniture about the time of Moses...

Same as ivory and water buffalo horn.

Depending on what state you live in Ivory is legal to buy and sell pre ban ivory ..
There is 4 states that it is Illegal to buy or sale ivory ...

Not wanting to go off topic but 1% forest is not much.....
There are several wood I use that is the root of a tree or bush .

Top Bottom