Possible first blank failure

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

keithncsu

Soooo I may have screwed up my first attempt at a pen from the start. Looking for input or confirmation that I messed up haha! First mistake I think I made was not cutting the blank to tube size first. I tried drilling the entire length but of course the bit wasn't long enough. Flipped it around and hoped for the best. Everything looked good until I cut it in two. Noticed the hole got a little oblong near the middle. I decided to go ahead and glue the tubes in since it's my first try. I mean I'll probably screw up while turning anyway right?

Am I going to have a disaster with an oblong hole or is it just a learning experience?

This site has been a tremendous help already so any help is most appreciated.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

More4dan

Most pens I've turned leaves a very thin section of the blank at the ends. You may cut into the glue if the hole has slop in it. If you mess up just turn all the way down to the brass and get another blank. Its how we learn.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Hi Keith:

If you could show a picture, we can give better suggestions. Beyond that - EVERY pen you turn will be a learning experience. I used to take notes for my first pens (never read the notes...) but it did help to somewhat organize my thoughts as I made mistakes and learned how to compensate/correct.

Rest assured; the second 50 pens will be much better than the first 50!

Welcome to IAP!

mecompco

Keith, is the blank wood? If so, plug your tubes and goop the epoxy in to fill any voids and I think it will work. If not, as above, turn off the wood and glue and give it another go. If it's acrylic, it might not turn out so well as the glue can show through translucent blanks.

I usually drill my blank for the first tube, having marked my drill bit, then cut it on the band saw. Then I continue drilling the blank for the second tube and cut it on the bandsaw. My rule is to never (OK, well seldom) drill all the way through a blank to avoid blow-outs.

There IS a learning curve to this, so keep making mistakes and learning from them.

Regards,
Michael

keithncsu

Here is a picture I took walking out this morning.
ATTACH]

Last edited:

mecompco

Wow! Yeah, I'd say start over on that one. If the hole were slightly oblong, you can get away with it sometimes. That is way too big--I'm thinking the bushing won't even cover that. If the other end isn't so bad, you could save the wood for a future try at segmenting or something. Just MHO.

Regards,
Michael

mecompco

The other side looks normal. This was the middle where I cut it.

Yup, I've tried the two-ended drilling thing myself, back when I first started to try and not blow out the end of blanks when drilling through them. I quickly learned that a much better technique is, as I described above, to drill far enough for the first blank, measure and mark it, and cut as close as you can (but not too short!), then drill the second blank and cut it--never drilling through the end.

This will eliminate the possibility of the bit blowing the end of the blank. This become particularly important when you move into acrylic/PR/etc. blanks.

Oh, and are you drilling on your lathe? If not, I highly recommend it.

Michael

target64

What you have there is a nice learning experience. Put that piece next to your drilling station to remind yourself not to do it again. I keep a few training examples in my shop, so yeah been there done that.

It looks like when you flipped your blank, you either rotated the blank or just did not have it well centered. Either way you now know to cut your blanks to size first before drilling.

Hopefully the blank was not too expensive. Well have fun and enjoy the process.

mecompco

What you have there is a nice learning experience. Put that piece next to your drilling station to remind yourself not to do it again. I keep a few training examples in my shop, so yeah been there done that.

It looks like when you flipped your blank, you either rotated the blank or just did not have it well centered. Either way you now know to cut your blanks to size first before drilling.

Hopefully the blank was not too expensive. Well have fun and enjoy the process.

Ha ha, I still get nervous when drilling a (relatively) expensive blank like Masterscroller's CNC'd blanks--at $22 a pop.

I use the PSI drilling chuck on my lathe and mark the blank so I can re-align it after removal to cut off the first blank. With practice one can cut it pretty close with the band saw, re-chuck it, and drill for the second blank. No worries about coming out the other end.

keithncsu

I actually had a co-worker drill it on the press at work. I plan to drill in my lathe but haven't purchased the necessary equipment yet. Luckily the blank was free thank to the newbie boxes some members here were offering. Honestly I think I'm going to just give it a shot on the lathe. It'll be good practice with my tools. I'll then turn it down and start over.

mecompco

Keith, give it a shot! Fill that right up with epoxy and as long as the bushing covers the epoxy, you might get away with it. At the very least, as you say, it will be good practice. You DO wear eye protection, I'm assuming, as that blank may come apart on you (speaking from experience). :)

keithncsu

I'll either do that or cut the tubes down to where the hole is normal and have a shorter pen. Unless of course it's too short and I'll just start over.

Rockytime

<SNIP> I usually drill my blank for the first tube, having marked my drill bit, then cut it on the band saw. Then I continue drilling the blank for the second tube and cut it on the bandsaw. My rule is to never (OK, well seldom) drill all the way through a blank to avoid blow-outs. <SNIP>
Regards,
Michael

I also leave some extra length on Acrylic blanks when drilling on the lathe. When drilling on the drill press using a PHDesigns blank vise there is a sacrificial piece of wood supporting the end of the blank preventing a blow-out.

Herb G

Hey, it happens. Save it to refer to so you don't make the same mistake again. I wouldn't sweat it.
I messed up more pen kits than I made for about the first year or so.

More4dan

I'll either do that or cut the tubes down to where the hole is normal and have a shorter pen. Unless of course it's too short and I'll just start over.

Most pens won't work correctly if too short. You could turn the wood down to the brass and glue a contrasting piece on the tube and make an accent ring.

Top Bottom