Possible craft show and retail sales - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Penturning
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Penturning General penturning discussions not specifically addressed in one of the specialty forums.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2018, 01:11 PM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 1

Question Possible craft show and retail sales

The wife and I were going to Crossville, TN to attend the retirement party for a close friend. We stopped at the little museum in Homesteads, TN which is a community built by the WPA. Here is the deal- crafts are on consignment and they take 20% commission on anything sold. I thought this was a decent deal compared to others I have seen. Also, the community is having an Apple Festival, September 22nd and 23rd. It costs $65 for a space around the museum site. Your thoughts on the deal. Obviously, theft wouldn't be covered as it is consignment only. My next question is getting Square One for my Android phone. We stopped at a place nearby and the lady had the card scanner for Square One. She liked it as you only paid for transactions. If I understood her, there were no monthly fees. Your recommendations and dealings with Square One are appreciated. Where do you get the scanner? I understand there is a chip reader as well. Many thanks!
FWIW, I belong to a local shooting club and feel that related pens will sell good. Square One would be handy for these sales.
Old 06-27-2018, 01:59 PM   #2 (permalink)

Photos: 11

The 20% to them Is a fair/good deal. However, the theft risk is not. Even with consignment they should have some responsibility for theft. If they don’t then they have zero incentive to prevent it and you will see too many of your items disappear. No responsibility for theft also means they don’t need to accurately track sales because they can just say they don’t know where it went. The 80% you should receive is 80% of anything you gave them that they don’t still have.
Old 06-27-2018, 02:10 PM   #3 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Been a user of Square for six or seven years and have had excellent results. The scanner is free but there is a charge for the chip reader. I know many still use just the scanner.
Old 06-27-2018, 03:14 PM   #4 (permalink)

Photos: 12

I just use the scanner (free from Square).

However - the advice from Jim is sound. "Leave it with us but we won't be responsible?" Do the booth for the show if the spirit moves, but the consignment deal sounds like "no deal" at all. Be carful.
Old 06-27-2018, 03:35 PM   #5 (permalink)

Photos: 10

This will be my third year using a Square reader at shows. It works great, and payment is received quickly. The customer can opt to receive an email or text receipt. I paid the $49.95 for the chip reader (also comes with a swipe reader).

I've only done consignments once. I sold a few items, but it really was more hassle than it was worth. And the lady who owned the shop actually tracked me down on Etsy, wanted to know all about custom pens so she could talk knowledgeably about them, spent her own funds on some displays, and took very good care of them.

Now I just sell on Etsy and five or six local craft shows in the fall/early winter.
mecompco is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 06-27-2018, 03:46 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks to all. I have the contact name and number to inquire about the theft concern. My question would be if they have had a problem in the past with theft. I need to make this inquiry as a standard question! The museum where the items for sale are kept. Not much bigger than my living room and dining room/kitchen. The director has a desk in the retail sales part where the entrance fee is collected. Might be a deterrent to theft. I have been figuring the mileage and gas for two round trips to the festival. Might pay to get a room in Crossville. Need to check on it. Deductible?????
JimB, would an inventory list be an advantage- one for me and one for the museum? As items are sold, they are crossed off the list, I am notified so future stocking of items could be adjusted to what sells, and I get paid.

Last edited by Woodchipper; 06-27-2018 at 03:49 PM.
Woodchipper is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 06-27-2018, 04:17 PM   #7 (permalink)

I've had pens at many different consignment shops over the years. I had one item stolen. The store was a non-profit benefiting a historical society, so I let it go.

All of the shops I'm in take good care of my pens and display them in areas where they won't wander off too easily. You won't find many shops that take as little as 20%. Give it a try.

Gary
vtgaryw is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 06-27-2018, 04:28 PM   #8 (permalink)

Photos: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodchipper View Post
Thanks to all. I have the contact name and number to inquire about the theft concern. My question would be if they have had a problem in the past with theft. I need to make this inquiry as a standard question! The museum where the items for sale are kept. Not much bigger than my living room and dining room/kitchen. The director has a desk in the retail sales part where the entrance fee is collected. Might be a deterrent to theft. I have been figuring the mileage and gas for two round trips to the festival. Might pay to get a room in Crossville. Need to check on it. Deductible?????
JimB, would an inventory list be an advantage- one for me and one for the museum? As items are sold, they are crossed off the list, I am notified so future stocking of items could be adjusted to what sells, and I get paid.
Yes, you will Need an inventory list (aka Packing List) when you drop off your pens so they know what you gave them and you need to keep a copy for yourself. They probably have their own system for tracking what sell but they may use your Packing List.
Old 06-27-2018, 06:37 PM   #9 (permalink)

Gary and JimB, thanks for your replies.
Old 06-27-2018, 07:33 PM   #10 (permalink)

Square is great, I use the chip reader. If you use the chip reader and the card ends up phony or stolen, Square eats the loss not me. If I swipe a chip card and it turns South I eat the loss. My swipe readers are now just fir backup. All sales at recent craft fairs are with chip cards.
mmayo is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads