is it possible?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

cmccarter

I overturned a special blank and need to build it back up. Need to go from .54 to .58. This is an aluminite blank. Will CA work to pich up .04"?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Sappheiros

It should be possible, but as for how long/how many layers it would take I wouldn't know. I'm not as knowledgable about CA. Thick CA might be the right route to go. See what more people say!

magpens

Building up that much with CA should be possible. . However, I see a problem with turning after doing the buildup because CA is brittle and does not machine well. . You may end up doing the shaping with sandpaper. . If you go this route, please let us know how it turns out.

SteveG

From time to time I have overturned the ends of a blank, and needed to build a bit, to achieve the desired diameter to meet the hardware. Building with CA to add back .04" is no problem.

JCochrun

I've had to do this before and used CA to build it back up. For sanding, I use the plastic sanding pads (kinda like the micro mesh pad) and wet sand the CA.

1080Wayne

Yes , but the process for getting there can be a learning experience . Best to start with a couple coats of thin . I then use medium ( on its way to becoming thick) . I use a strip of craft foam about an inch wide , apply a bead of CA across the full width , apply that to the barrel turning at about 500 rpm , spread it back and forth for a few seconds , hit with aerosol accelerant twice about 10 seconds apart . Repeat a time or two depending on amount of buildup required . Finish with a couple of thin . Sand .

If a coat goes on rough , best to sand rather than apply more on top . I would also wait a week before final finish to allow the CA to fully cure .

JohnU

CA will work just fine. I've made sierra pens with stamps on the tube and only CA to build up the thickness, just to see if I could do it. If your not experienced with CA finishes you might not want to use accelerator. It can leave cracks in the CA if put on too thick. I would use medium CA and delrin bushings, or you will never get the blank off the metal bushings without damaging it. Patients will be the test, letting the layers of glue dry. Don't attempt to put it on too thick. It will just take longer to dry. Nice even coats and then lightly sand and finish like you would an acrylic blank. If you notice a problem or something stuck in the glue, let it dry and scrape it out with a razor blade before the next layer. It's easy to do so inspect the blank between each CA layer. On a positive note, the CA finish will polish and shine much nicer and easier than the alumilite. Good luck!

Last edited:

leehljp

Member Liaison
In dry warm/hot climates, not a problem. In humid warm/hot, very doable; but be more patient. Build up two or three coats (depending on how thick you apply) and let it sit for 10 to 15 minutes or more. Then add another coat or two.

I have done this on several occasions on one end or another. Technique is very helpful. Use an applicator, foam, plastic parts bag or thin plastic sheet to smooth it on. Build up past the thickness needed, measure at different points and then turn back down.

When doing a thicker coating in cooler weather - below 70° and in humid areas, watch for the moisture trapping as the CA heats and cools off. It will draw moisture in. Probably 2 out of 3 times, not a problem but the other 1/3 of the time, it is.

Top Bottom