position of the clip on a Snakeskin pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

mick

Got a quick question and Connie's not here to answer me(or tell me what to do)...lol
I just finished a snakeskin Statesman and altho I've done lots of snakeskin pens I've never done one as a full sized Statesman before. It's a big ol honkin' piece of Skin!

My question is since it's such a big blank there's a lot of the paler coloring on this skin. I'm guessing its the "sides" of the skin as the pattern tapers off before you get to the belly scales.Normally on the smaller style pens the pattern wraps almost all the way around the pen.

If it were you putting this pen together would you locate the clip over the seam, in the middle of the paler area without much pattern or over the center of the most figured part, placing the plain pale part in the back of the pen?

Just looking for opinions before I press the finial into place.
Thanks folks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
That would all hinge upon the prominence of the seam. If its not too unsightly, I'd be inclined to place the clip over the pale area; if the seam is prominent, I'd probably place the clip over it. Just my opinion, though.

its_virgil

I struggle with this question with each snake skin pen I make. If you are making your own try to use the widest skin sections for the larger pens. But, back to your question, I usually place the clip to the immnediate right or left of top side and lately I've started placing the clip directly over the blotches on the prairie rattlesnake skins, especially on the caps of the larger pens.
do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by mick
<br />Got a quick question and Connie's not here to answer me(or tell me what to do)...lol
I just finished a snakeskin Statesman and altho I've done lots of snakeskin pens I've never done one as a full sized Statesman before. It's a big ol honkin' piece of Skin!

My question is since it's such a big blank there's a lot of the paler coloring on this skin. I'm guessing its the "sides" of the skin as the pattern tapers off before you get to the belly scales.Normally on the smaller style pens the pattern wraps almost all the way around the pen.

If it were you putting this pen together would you locate the clip over the seam, in the middle of the paler area without much pattern or over the center of the most figured part, placing the plain pale part in the back of the pen?

Just looking for opinions before I press the finial into place.
Thanks folks

mick

Don, I'm leaning more that way. if a pen has a "presentation side" then it would be just as you describe, centered on the most prominent blotches

Rifleman1776

Mick's response is probably the best. Being a natural thing, I don't believe placement of the clip is all that important. The skins have variations in color and look and that's what it is all about. As for seams, most of the blanks I have used from Glimmerz make it a real challenge to find the seam, sometimes can't be found at all. So that's not a factor.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Mike,

I'm ashamed of you!!! The answer is OBVIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wait until Connie gets home and get the one and only DEFINITIVE answer.

Then DO IT THAT WAY!!!

This is the ONLY method that keeps harmony in your household.

(Oh, you may want to record HER answer, so that at the next show if she tells you the way you did it is wrong, you can PROVE it WAS HER suggestion.) As you get older, you learn these things!!!

I'm really surprised Don didn't tell you this!!![:D][:D][:D][:D]

ctwxlvr

(Oh, you may want to record HER answer, so that at the next show if she tells you the way you did it is wrong, you can PROVE it WAS HER suggestion.)

Bad Idea, very bad idea, unless you have a few dogs to keep you warm in their house[:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom