Porcelain body pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Recently bought some Porcelain barrel pens from e-bay, and feel quite happy about them.
How to make Porcelain pens, is porcelain possible to machine ?
Has anyone tried one?
Regards.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

LagniappeRob

Not sure if it's able to be turned, but can you show pictures of "said" pens?! Can't say I have ever seen ceramic bodied pens before.

I have one picked it up at Goodwill. Jinhoa makes some. For the money, they aren't that bad. They actually have decent reputation for the price for the fountain pens. Will it compare with a nice one? No, but many of the nibs we use cost more than the whole pen (in a box!): Amazon.com: Luxury Fountain Pen Jinhao 950 Blue and White Porcelain Dragon Medium Nib 18kgp: Office Products

Pics of mine are attached. So I don't get the ever present, "pics or it didn't happen" comment. :biggrin:

Attachments

• DSC_0815.JPG
    DSC_0815.JPG
    125.3 KB · Views: 283
  • DSC_0816.JPG
    DSC_0816.JPG
    225.4 KB · Views: 182

Mortalis

Porcelain is a form of ceramic and requires diamond tools to form or cut. I used to work for a manufacturer of ceramic to metal seals in the ceramic department. You can purchase diamond files and pads that are impregnated with different grits of diamond. Only problem is that the diamond tools should not be used on other materials as they will degrade very quickly to uselessness. Diamond slurry is used for polishing.

You can make those parts in a pottery oven. I have build one and my wife has done lots of pottery items also porcelain dolls. You can buy the slip( I think that is what it is called) and with a mold that you can also make. You will have to take into account the shrinkage of the material for the final product.

ctubbs

Porcelain fires some hotter than regular ceramics and the shrinkage is therefore more severe. Not sure bout what would happen between the tube and ceramic at those temps. Best of luck with this and bring back your results.

Charles

nava1uni

You could not turn it on a lathe. Not only is it made from clay (porcelain slip), but it must also be glazed and then fired for it to have any shine. Otherwise it is a dry rough clay tube

southernclay

As the others have said, a slip would have to be cast. Ideally then fired, then glazed and fired again. I don't think there would be a way to turn ceramics well, if unfired too brittle, if fired too hard.

Nice looking pen, sure it's made in mass, use a stencil for the blue glaze then dipped or sprayed. Still neat to see

Top Bottom