pop figure on quilted maple?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dan_F

I have a quilted maple pen going, what's the best to pop the grain? Would the CA/BLO together have the same effect that oil alone would have, which is what I'd use fo this was flatwork?

Dan

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

les-smith

I'll use BLO first. But, I make sure it's cured good before applying the CA. I apply the BLO then I rub it good with t-shirt material while the lathe is running. I get it good and warm. I then do my CA application. I've always thought it pops the grain good.

Rifleman1776

The proven method used by gun stockers for figured maple is to use acid to 'pop' the grain. The acid/stain is best diluted and applied in stages until you get the desired result. You can buy such stains from several suppliers for traditional muzzle loading rifles. Two of the best are The Log Cabin Shop and Track of the Wolf. Internet searches will find them for you. Below is an example of what is done with this method on curly a/k/a tiger stripe maple.

2007122322288_grain.jpg

Dario

Frank, You're showing off again! :D[:p] I love those finish!

Kidding aside, Frank is right but it is in a way different from the original question. The reason the figure came out better on the stock with the stain is because the quilt figure presents various "end grain" areas that absorb the stain more than the face side.

On a clear finish, I would say both CA and BLO works great...but since BLO have more color than CA (yellow), it does the "staining" effect discussed above...creating the illusion that it pops better.

I hope my ramblings make sense.

Top Bottom