Poor Tool Choices

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SCR0LL3R

I have a hollowing tool that I bought when I first started turning. (I really didn't really know what to look for) I also bought an extra cutter when I bought the tool figuring I would need one after awhile and I wouldn't want to pay shipping just for that.

Fast forward to a year later and I have still only been doing pens and haven't used the hollowing tool. All this talk about carbide tools made me think that maybe I should get a straight shaft handle for these inserts so I can have a larger carbide tool for pen turning. (I do have a small Nano-Tools one) So off I go to website where I bought the tool and come to find out, this thing uses HSS inserts! I paid $17 for a 1/2" dia. HSS disk? What a ridiculous price! Not to mention the $60 for the handle & shaft. After shipping and taxes, I wasted nearly $100 on this silly thing!:mad:

Wish I could have that money back to buy a proper carbide tool. It's bad enough having to pay $15 for a carbide insert, it's just crazy for HSS.

/Sigh :rolleyes:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Andrew_K99

I imagine most of have made tool purchases like that. Great intent and easily justified at the time and a year later you shake your head at the unopened box.

Dorno

With regards to the carbide cutters $15 is way to expensive for any of them. Although the round do seem alot dearer than the square they are still not as high as $15 so be sure to look around.

Cheers Ian

SCR0LL3R

The woodchuck round inserts are $12 and $17, the Nano-Tool cutter for the handle that I have is $17, and the Easy Wood Tools round inserts are $17-$18. Where do you get them from and which handle do they fit on? (I posted this before seeing jjudge's post)

Last edited:

PenPal

Keith,

What is past is simply past tense. Let me illustrate that this way my first computer an IBM IBM cost the original purchaser 5,500 Dollars and me 400.00 years later. Moving forward many years a replacement 70 megabite hard disk replacement cost me 700.00 dollars.

When comparing prices the old adage is apples with apples comparison.

My dearly beloved many years ago got the bug to make things for family needed a scroll saw so I bought a cheap Dremel (you squeezed by hand to release or fit the blade) and two others of Made in China one of them two foot six long. Then in a burst of love and kindness at a WW Show paid 1200 Dollars for a Hegner Scroll Saw. Some couple of years later SWMBO had sated her need to make cats hanging from doorways, intricate painted mini shelves, cats in corners etc and said simply you can have the saws I dont want to pursue this any more.

Now the best saw by far was the Hegner it remains hardly used the Dremel used extensively
(built like a toy) which I stripped and use for a flex drive the motor etc.

Now the moral of the story is horses for courses what suits you at the time. Pay big bucks get on with the task , enjoy, (perhaps profit along the way) when Televisions came out in colour they were dynamite prices, cheap as chips over here in HD and 3D.

Goodness me HSS Disks were standard on very expensive tools once and I predict the costs of Carbide tips (note micro finished ultra fine grain construction) will come down further.

Please dont shoot the messengers who make at some expense carbide tools professionally,
never confuse how much it cost you to make something as an amateur.

Examine how our respective countries got themselves in such a mess with balance of payments etc, well guess what you and I contributed to this by buying goods from elsewhere, making cheaper imitations ourselves, showing others how to then complaining the parts etc are not available at the store any more.

Now I am a do it yourself person as a tradesman I bear my share of responsibility, when I built my house age 20 yrs I dug the foundations with a spade and a mattock removing 12 up to large gum trees grubbed out beforehand, painted the weatherboards, helped stand the frames, wired the house as an apprenticed Electrician, lived with wife then one daughter in a 12 foot square shed on the block with a pan system in a small shed for a toilet, cold water and a small sink for ablutions. What I am saying how far are we prepared to go to get by. Is it necessary or clever. This a personal question.

I try to give credit where credit is due to manufacturers in this case real nice members on the forum trying to help us at neat prices who carry stock and material, Yes I dont have to buy from them or anyone for that matter anywhere in the world.

One time a guy came to fix my reticulated hot water hydronic system it took him 5 minutes to fix, cost me arond a hundred fifty dollars, my query why so much his answer 10 dollars for materials and the rest for knowing how including a fee to come.

The direction things are going re kits, components etc nothing new here in my life experiences.

Trust we all can enjoy our hobby or business in company of our friends and as we copy those who went before us in anything refrain from expecting them to give away their livelyhood, and respect.

Wow have a nice day everyone. This week a mate of mine died at age 71, he returned home on his bike (his hobby forever competitive cycling) sat in his chair and passed on thus
at his funeral and several years older than him lots of seemingly important things have become of minor importance in my life. The glass is always half full.

Kind regards Peter.

keithbyrd

Keith,

What is past is simply past tense. Let me illustrate that this way my first computer an IBM IBM cost the original purchaser 5,500 Dollars and me 400.00 years later. Moving forward many years a replacement 70 megabite hard disk replacement cost me 700.00 dollars.

When comparing prices the old adage is apples with apples comparison.

My dearly beloved many years ago got the bug to make things for family needed a scroll saw so I bought a cheap Dremel (you squeezed by hand to release or fit the blade) and two others of Made in China one of them two foot six long. Then in a burst of love and kindness at a WW Show paid 1200 Dollars for a Hegner Scroll Saw. Some couple of years later SWMBO had sated her need to make cats hanging from doorways, intricate painted mini shelves, cats in corners etc and said simply you can have the saws I dont want to pursue this any more.

Now the best saw by far was the Hegner it remains hardly used the Dremel used extensively
(built like a toy) which I stripped and use for a flex drive the motor etc.

Now the moral of the story is horses for courses what suits you at the time. Pay big bucks get on with the task , enjoy, (perhaps profit along the way) when Televisions came out in colour they were dynamite prices, cheap as chips over here in HD and 3D.

Goodness me HSS Disks were standard on very expensive tools once and I predict the costs of Carbide tips (note micro finished ultra fine grain construction) will come down further.

Please dont shoot the messengers who make at some expense carbide tools professionally,
never confuse how much it cost you to make something as an amateur.

Examine how our respective countries got themselves in such a mess with balance of payments etc, well guess what you and I contributed to this by buying goods from elsewhere, making cheaper imitations ourselves, showing others how to then complaining the parts etc are not available at the store any more.

Now I am a do it yourself person as a tradesman I bear my share of responsibility, when I built my house age 20 yrs I dug the foundations with a spade and a mattock removing 12 up to large gum trees grubbed out beforehand, painted the weatherboards, helped stand the frames, wired the house as an apprenticed Electrician, lived with wife then one daughter in a 12 foot square shed on the block with a pan system in a small shed for a toilet, cold water and a small sink for ablutions. What I am saying how far are we prepared to go to get by. Is it necessary or clever. This a personal question.

I try to give credit where credit is due to manufacturers in this case real nice members on the forum trying to help us at neat prices who carry stock and material, Yes I dont have to buy from them or anyone for that matter anywhere in the world.

One time a guy came to fix my reticulated hot water hydronic system it took him 5 minutes to fix, cost me arond a hundred fifty dollars, my query why so much his answer 10 dollars for materials and the rest for knowing how including a fee to come.

The direction things are going re kits, components etc nothing new here in my life experiences.

Trust we all can enjoy our hobby or business in company of our friends and as we copy those who went before us in anything refrain from expecting them to give away their livelyhood, and respect.

Wow have a nice day everyone. This week a mate of mine died at age 71, he returned home on his bike (his hobby forever competitive cycling) sat in his chair and passed on thus
at his funeral and several years older than him lots of seemingly important things have become of minor importance in my life. The glass is always half full.

Kind regards Peter.

Peter, I am confused by your "article" I was merely pointing out that carbide tips can be purchased very reasonably priced. I did fail to mention thatthey are manufactured in the good ole USA too.

SCR0LL3R

Well, the square and radius'ed inserts on the woodchuck pen pro aren't that pricey anyway at around $7, I guess the round ones must cost a lot more to make for some reason since they are all in the same price range around $15. My real beef was paying $17 for a high speed steel insert... I have whole HSS tools that cost far less than that.

PenPal

Keith, not Keith Byrd the original poster Keith.

My references in general were to the cost of various items lets take inserts for an example they are priced according to quality Bitshird recently gave examples of the amount he pays for radially honed inserts compared with another product made from inferior material and honed differently. His shaft is made from stainless steel, the holding screws are stainless steel. When saving apples compared to apples is a fairer explanation. When we make tools and copy anothers designs of course they are cheaper. Other statements I made were general observations along these lines no offense meant to anyone.

In addressing you I tend to try to tell you yes I read your post however my right is to enlarge my explanation to give you an idea of how I determine quality, need for various products.

Guess what physical input I put into making I regard as cost in time, material and so forth there is no such thing for me as a free lunch.

Happy is the day when you can buy manufactured engineering in your own country, here in our country we have this small population base then it follows manufacturers can amortise their costs from fewer purchasers hence the real cost is higher for most everything.

Trust you enjoy your turning using the inserts you buy, when you buy from Global you get what you pay for.

Kind regards Peter.

Last edited:

keithbyrd

Keith, not Keith Byrd the original poster Keith.

My references in general were to the cost of various items lets take inserts for an example they are priced according to quality Bitshird recently gave examples of the amount he pays for radially honed inserts compared with another product made from inferior material and honed differently. His shaft is made from stainless steel, the holding screws are stainless steel. When saving apples compared to apples is a fairer explanation. When we make tools and copy anothers designs of course they are cheaper. Other statements I made were general observations along these lines no offense meant to anyone.

In addressing you I tend to try to tell you yes I read your post however my right is to enlarge my explanation to give you an idea of how I determine quality, need for various products.

Guess what physical input I put into making I regard as cost in time, material and so forth there is no such thing for me as a free lunch.

Happy is the day when you can buy manufactured engineering in your own country, here in our country we have this small population base then it follows manufacturers can amortise their costs from fewer purchasers hence the real cost is higher for most everything.

Trust you enjoy your turning using the inserts you buy, when you buy from Global you get what you pay for.

Kind regards Peter.

I iknow it wasn't to me but I have a question!::) You referenced global "you get what you pay for" are these poor grade/quality? This was my first batch of tips for my woodcheck pen pro and have never bought any others carbide tools. They seem to be good quality, have held their edge good etc. AM I missing something?

Top Bottom