Poor fitting center band

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jkeithrussell

1st post, hopefully in the right place.

I've made a dozen or so pens with mixed results. The last 2 that I tried were the "toni" size -- slimline with a thicker center band. For some reason, both of them ended up with noticeable gaps between the stock and the center band, and on both top and bottom. I haven't had that problem with simple slimlines. What am I doing wrong?

Many thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hilltopper46

Depending on how you mill your ends, you may be milling the blank material past the end of the tubes so the tube actually protrudes a little past the barrel. This will have exactly the effect that you have described.

I've heard of this happening, I haven't seen it in my own shop since, oh let's see.... I think Thursday was the last time I milled a pen blank. :embarrassed:

I use a very sharp bench chisel to pare the brass back down to the end of the barrel. There are probably better ways to do this.

Another possibility is that if you sand your tubes square you aren't getting them as square but then the gap will not be even all the way around.

Sylvanite

... you may be milling the blank material past the end of the tubes so the tube actually protrudes a little past the barrel. ... I use a very sharp bench chisel to pare the brass back down to the end of the barrel. There are probably better ways to do this.

I keep a diamond file next to my arbor press. Before assembling, I rub it on the ends of the blanks. It hones them flush with just a few strokes. The file is more aggressive on the brass tubes than on the wood and I can feel when it is time to stop.

Regards,
Eric

jkeithrussell

Thanks for the responses. I thought that might be it, but I didn't have the same problem with other pens. I will try the file tonight and see if it works. Thanks again.

RichB

I had the same problem on slim lines. The distance between the pilot and the cutter is to big and the tube gets between the cutter and the pilot. This caused the cutter to cut the wood and not the tube. I went to sanding with a jig.

randyrls

I have had that problem with the brass tube sticking up beyond the blank on 7mm tubes. I use a de-burring tool to remove the brass sticking up. Just takes a few seconds.

It can even be done after the blanks are turned.

Sometimes the finish will form a film on the end of the blank, and this will keep the CB from seating properly.

Top Bottom