Pool cue style rings

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mpex

Any ideas how I might make rings something like these? This is actually what got me interested in pen turning. I own a beautiful Southwest Cue, Jerry Franklin era, Purple Heart and Ebony. I always wanted to make a pen to match.

Attachments

• SWPen.jpg
    SWPen.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 280
  • swcue462.jpg
    swcue462.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 827
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

lorbay

Any ideas how I might make rings something like these? This is actually what got me interested in pen turning. I own a beautiful Southwest Cue, Jerry Franklin era, Purple Heart and Ebony. I always wanted to make a pen to match.
It's called segmenting.

Lin.

mpex

It's called segmenting.

Lin.

I should have said originally, I know it's segmenting. I've already started doing some simple segments but have no idea how to do something this 'complex.'

Thanks.

lorbay

It's called segmenting.

Lin.

I should have said originally, I know it's segmenting. I've already started doing some simple segments but have no idea how to do something this 'complex.'

Thanks.
Well it really is all the same, but as you said more complex but if you think about it on a larger scale to start with and then just scale it all down. So like those rings you can put it altogether turn it round and then cut the rings off the size you want them and then sand and glue them where necessary.

Lin.

Haynie

I tried something like that. In principal it is easy, in practice well I needed a better protractor, or better eyes or something. I could not get the angles right. Look up segmented turning on the net and you see some super cool stuff as well as some programs to help with angles to buy.

It is doable

Dai Sensei

Here is a harlequin pen I did a while back, may give you some ideas on little squares, lines are simple inlay slices. This one was one of my first and that that accurate, but you get the idea.

28736d1156063675-august-pen-swap-wip.jpg

28737d1156063675-august-pen-swap-hpen-slice2.jpg
28738d1156063675-august-pen-swap-harlequin-fav.jpg

Hope this works, the photos are from another forum.

Cheers

wiset1

It also helps to have precision tools and lots of patients. I think HF has a cheaper version and not quite as accurate, but here's a tool that will assist in what you're looking to do and is probably one of the best quality machines out there.

Byrnes Model Machines Home Page

Hope that helps get you down the trail and into some segmenting.

Dan26

Here's a segmented one I did that has some of what you are looking for. It was pretty easy.

Attachments

• bloodwood-fp04.gif
    bloodwood-fp04.gif
    214.2 KB · Views: 464

mpex

Thanks for all the comments! That is giving me a lot to think about. I've been watching some pool cue turning videos on youtube which has also given me some ideas. I need to get through the holiday season before I can start working on projects for myself...

Top Bottom