Pool Cue guys

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WriteON

Has anyone made joint protectors on their pen lathe. Can the pin be accurately inserted?. I'm currently using a Carba 3X. I might upgrade lathes real soon. Thanks, Frank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jj9ball

I haven't done it on a pen lathe. I have a metal lathe that I also use to do pool cue work (tips, ferrules, joints, etc.). If you want I'll make you a couple. I usually use delrin but you can also use brass or aluminum.... now that you mention it... you could probably use oversized acrylic blanks and then they would look really colorful. I use a tap and die for the thread. The only exception is the radial pin. I had to turn those on the metal lathe. If you are lucky enough to have a Meucci thread 5/16 X 18 you can pick up a tap and die for it at any hardware store. If I was going to make them on a wood lathe I would probably use a collet chuck and a tap and die. Let me know how it turns out.

WriteON

Hi JJ. I would buy the pins from a billiard supply facility and go from there.
Not sure what my first project will be as I have a cue collection. Would try uniloc or radial joint pins. I should be able to make a JP on the pen lathe. I do not think my Carbatec lathe is accurate enough for joint work but I'm going to tinker. I am looking into a Mid Size cue lathe but there are costly. Also considering a Jet 1221. I will keep you posted. Thanks for posting. Stay down and follow through. Frank

Last edited:

Paul in OKC

Used to makes tons of them for a guy. Made them on a HF 7x10 lathe. Would drill and tap the wood. Made an arbor that I could screw them onto then turned them. Had a couple of the most popular threads. Don't remember if my friend had a tap for the radial pin or not.

WriteON

Made an arbor that I could screw them onto then turned them.

Have any pictures of the arbor and your work.

I hope I'm ok posting the thread on this forum. It's not pen related yet it ties in.
I'm enjoying my pen lathe.

I just started pen turning last month. Gave out about 10 pens. I have/had no intentions of selling them and someone comes along wanting to order 25 pens. Life is good. This is a hobby/interest I never expected.

Paul in OKC

I would have to dig for pics, it was years ago. I think I still have the arbor though. I would think you could do them just as well on a pen lathe with a collet chuck or such to hold an adapter. Most of the ones I made were 'plain', using either coco bolo or ebony. I did do a couple and did inlays on them.

WriteON

I would have to dig for pics, it was years ago. I think I still have the arbor though. I would think you could do them just as well on a pen lathe with a collet chuck or such to hold an adapter. Most of the ones I made were 'plain', using either coco bolo or ebony. I did do a couple and did inlays on them.

I have a dedicated drill chuck.....no good I guess. Sorry you guys are not neighbors. We could compare pens over a game of 1 pocket or 9ball.

Top Bottom