Polymer clay- possible to add more to an already "fired" blank?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BigguyZ

OK, so I tried an experiment with some polymer clay, and it turned out OK, but not great. I'd like to turn the blank round on the lathe, and re-apply a few adornments and then re-bake the blank. If I do that, will the new additions stick properly to the already-baked substrate?

Thanks,
Travis

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PaulD

That is a technique that polymer clay people use with bead and jewelry making pretty frequently. However, I have never needed or wanted to do it myself on my PC pens. If you have not sealed or polished the clay I expect it will work fine for you from what I have read. I have not read of any problems with reheating previously cured clay.

BigguyZ

That is a technique that polymer clay people use with bead and jewelry making pretty frequently. However, I have never needed or wanted to do it myself on my PC pens. If you have not sealed or polished the clay I expect it will work fine for you from what I have read. I have not read of any problems with reheating previously cured clay.

Cool! Then I think I'll do my best to salvage the PC clay I just made. It's interesting, but not the best implementation....

Thanks!

nava1uni

I would be careful not to over bake it or the baked clay may darken in color. In my experience you should score the area where you are going to apply another piece or layer t help it adhere better.

Travis they will not stick very well. You can try applying a small amount of liquid polymer clay, but the best thing would be to bake the adornments seperately and epoxy or CA them to your pen. Polymer clay once it is fired can be refired with no problem. I often bake a piece, carve, back-fill and refire.

Top Bottom