Polymer Clay blank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

snowb46

I'm having a blast....even without my lathe! Just ordered it on Thursday.

Just got a shipment yesterday of PC cane from Toni yesterday and spent a portion of the morning putting a PC blank together.

Still have the sanding to do yet, and had some questions for Toni about the process.

It's really fairly easy, just takes some time to to do. Here is what I've done so far:

CLICK on photo and will take you to the other pics on Photobucket

I'm looking forward to getting this down and making some more! Has anyone else done any of these?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

roy leyva

Great job. I recently purchased Toni's canes and the pens (mostly CLassicas) have turned out fantasticly (according to my recipients!). If I could offer you a little advice, do not hestitate to roll the flowered, leaf, or insect canes into different diameters, to add a little balance to your scheme. In addition, your cane slices go a-lot further, as a 2" cane will grow to 4"-6" long in the process. If the cane is odd-shaped, like for the butterflys, then press top and bottom slightly with thumb and index f. along cane, then both sides simultaneously, and watch it "grow" longer and smaller diameter. I like to see a butterfly on the flower, but of different proportion. By the by, I am no expert on the matter! As an aside, sand lightly on the lathe so that you don't erase the figure. I then apply several coats of thick CA, sanding lightlybetween coats, then I polish as normal to a luster. Hope this helps, Sir. rvl

roy leyva

Absolutely more than that!--Dozens of pens using about apprx. 40 diff. figures for a Classica tube. Process: Using the long 4" sharp blade, hold the cane nestled between mid-finger and thumb..now with index on top, you will use this fingers (nail) to guide the cut as thin as you can. I once asked Toni if "paper thin", but this does not allow for any vertical deviation as you slice. I start by wiping blade with alcohol, position blade over a relatively thin (less than rubber band w. but thicker than paper sheet), draw back on blade down, then SLOWLY slice all the way forward and downward. This minimizes any distortion of figure. I use a square foot white tile of marble to cut on. This shows any prior clay contamination easily and is a hard&smooth surface to slice on. Use one stroke down, preventing any sawing motion. I then position the slices on my clay draped tube with a sharp exacto blade (#11) to pick up the sticky little devils and so I can rotate or place into any postion. Once covered to the best of your ability, I cover any gaps in the back-ground with thin Translucent clay to even out any "holes". I place my bushings on the ends and roll the ends of clay by squeezing until a get an even thickness to the tube/bushing. A final finger roll to get a smooth melding of the millefiore and it's ready for baking (15-17 minutes @ 230-250 Deg. F). I stand the tubes upright on a screw base and cover the units w/ an aluminum foil tent to prevent yellowing. Finally, Allow for a slow cooling (+- 15 minutes) and they are ready for the mandrel. This is where the real fun starts!, for us old-time PEN turners!. Hope this helps, ya'all. rvl

snowb46

I don't know how it turns yet, still waiting on my lathe...but it's ordered. Made the blank using Toni's PC Clay cane and a Gatsby tube.
How does that turn?? Where did you get the blank? Do they have a lot of other designs? See you at the next meeting.

Pine lumber:)

snowb46

THIN, THIN THIN!!! Thin as possible. According to Toni, the pics where you can still see the translucent clay after it was baked was too thick, so I need to work on that issue a bit yet. As to the qty, they say you should be able to get 70-100 slices out of one cane, there are approx 20-25 slices on my blank (guess)

How thin do you slice the cane? will one 2" cane do a average two tube pen?
Dave

snowb46

Being that you have a bit more experience than I, how do you determine how thick to make the clay on the blank. I know mine is a bit proud. Do you find it easier to build up with CA glue after sanding? or sand it down to where you need it then CA it?

Great job. I recently purchased Toni's canes and the pens (mostly CLassicas) have turned out fantasticly (according to my recipients!). If I could offer you a little advice, do not hestitate to roll the flowered, leaf, or insect canes into different diameters, to add a little balance to your scheme. In addition, your cane slices go a-lot further, as a 2" cane will grow to 4"-6" long in the process. If the cane is odd-shaped, like for the butterflys, then press top and bottom slightly with thumb and index f. along cane, then both sides simultaneously, and watch it "grow" longer and smaller diameter. I like to see a butterfly on the flower, but of different proportion. By the by, I am no expert on the matter! As an aside, sand lightly on the lathe so that you don't erase the figure. I then apply several coats of thick CA, sanding lightlybetween coats, then I polish as normal to a luster. Hope this helps, Sir. rvl

snowb46

Was wondering how to get there...Thanks (highlighted area below)

Absolutely more than that!--Dozens of pens using about apprx. 40 diff. figures for a Classica tube. Process: Using the long 4" sharp blade, hold the cane nestled between mid-finger and thumb..now with index on top, you will use this fingers (nail) to guide the cut as thin as you can. I once asked Toni if "paper thin", but this does not allow for any vertical deviation as you slice. I start by wiping blade with alcohol, position blade over a relatively thin (less than rubber band w. but thicker than paper sheet), draw back on blade down, then SLOWLY slice all the way forward and downward. This minimizes any distortion of figure. I use a square foot white tile of marble to cut on. This shows any prior clay contamination easily and is a hard&smooth surface to slice on. Use one stroke down, preventing any sawing motion. I then position the slices on my clay draped tube with a sharp exacto blade (#11) to pick up the sticky little devils and so I can rotate or place into any postion. Once covered to the best of your ability, I cover any gaps in the back-ground with thin Translucent clay to even out any "holes". I place my bushings on the ends and roll the ends of clay by squeezing until a get an even thickness to the tube/bushing. A final finger roll to get a smooth melding of the millefiore and it's ready for baking (15-17 minutes @ 230-250 Deg. F). I stand the tubes upright on a screw base and cover the units w/ an aluminum foil tent to prevent yellowing. Finally, Allow for a slow cooling (+- 15 minutes) and they are ready for the mandrel. This is where the real fun starts!, for us old-time PEN turners!. Hope this helps, ya'all. rvl

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
Great job, someday I have to get some canes from Toni, but for now I have WAY to many projects to do that.

roy leyva

Actually, I prefer neither. CA build-up is messy. Apply bushings and mold end clay to same as bushings. As to thickness, I estimate about the thickness of my thumbnail; paper thin leads to miss-slicing and material/cane wasetage; too thick and you build up like a dome. Do a final surface roll w/slight finger pressure and you end up w/ even smooth surface and ready to cook. Have fun at it. Hope this helps! rvl

roy leyva

MILLEFIORI

Todd: I have tried several times to answer you today, but I guess my long-winded verbose-ness? erases itself when I submit under "Quick Response"; it Times out. So let's try this method. If this loads onto the Thread, then I will try again tomorrow, OK? I will gladly share my processes with PClay. rvl PS: thumbnail thin works for me, while paper thin leaves me open to mistakes/wedging out! Mold the ends of finished lay-out with bushings on and taper ends of pliable clay so that no CA filling will be needed. Thanks.

snowb46

I'm ROTFLMBO as I' reading this. Been there, done that. LOL:rotfl: I have the feeling I'm going to be having issues once my lathe gets here and I start to sand down the blank. It's thicker than I'd care, however your suggestion as to using bushings to guage the thickness is helpful (I didn't think of doing that). Will have to do that on my next attempt. Thanks.

Todd: I have tried several times to answer you today, but I guess my long-winded verbose-ness? erases itself when I submit under "Quick Response"; it Times out. So let's try this method. If this loads onto the Thread, then I will try again tomorrow, OK? I will gladly share my processes with PClay. rvl PS: thumbnail thin works for me, while paper thin leaves me open to mistakes/wedging out! Mold the ends of finished lay-out with bushings on and taper ends of pliable clay so that no CA filling will be needed. Thanks.

Top Bottom