polymer clay

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ZanderPommo

ok, so after watching a PC demo at the MPG, emma and I (mostly emma) decided to give it a whirl. So I bought a clay processing roller and some PC as well as some PC canes. Now for my questions.

Is there a discernable difference in the brands of clay? i bought sculpty but there was some generic stuff which looked just as good and was half the price, so the question is....is there really a difference? whats the best brand if there is one? can I buy the cheap stuff?

The other question is, are any of the brands incompatible? or can I mix them without fear?

Thanks to all those who are willing and able to answer my endless questions!:biggrin:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OOPS

I asked Toni this question in an email one time. She said that you DON'T want Sculpey 3. Later on I spoke with another person who knew about polymer clays and she said that Sculpey 3 can shatter if you drop it, so its no good for pens. The brands recommended were Premo and Fimo. I have also heard good things about Cernit, although its pricey, and Kato Polyclay.

As far as saving money, if you are close to either Michael's or Hobby Lobby, you're in luck. Both stores normally offer coupons with 40% off one item per visit. Between the two stores, I have found endless uses for these 40% off coupons, and normally go there at least once a week. Both stores sell polymer clay. In addition, both stores have sales on polymer clay, and the typical one is 4 packs for $5. By shopping the sales and using the coupons, you will be able to try various colors and do a lot of experimenting without breaking the bank. By the way, I have also purchased Alumilite at Hobby Lobby for 40% off!

RosezPenZ

Thank you. I have lots of sculpey III. I'm saying "oh crap" right now. Guess I'll give it to my nieces. Jo-Ann's has lots of colors, different brands and coupons all the time also.

j_b_fischer

Local Chapter Leader
I was at the MPG also at the MPG, saw the same demo, and decide to expand my horizons.

Where did you get the 'clay processing roller'? The demo mentioned a pasta maker from Kohls, but I can't find one suitable for PC?

PTsideshow

Pasta roller/clay process roller Hobby lobby or Micheal's generally stock and sell them. Even wally world/Meijers has them on occasion.
In-Store Coupon : Weekly In-Store Specials : Hobby Lobby - Hobby Lobby You may have to wait till later Monday for the dates to catch up on the coupons.
Michaels Weekly Ad
Assorted coupons

They also are in the life sections and adverts of a lot of Sunday newspapers.

I have gone in and used more than one coupon, during the same stop.
Took the hat off, with the hat. And the one time the girl asked at the check out. "I told her it must have been my evil twin brother" :biggrin: she just got a strange look on her face!

ghostrider

I got the same speil from Toni a little while ago myself.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/f13/first-polymer-clay-damascus-white-red-pink-96579/#post1390486

I too have been experimenting with polymer clay recently, but have not been using any canes. If you do a search, you will find a lot of info on PC.

So far I've used Cernit, Fimo, Kato, and Sculpey III. Cernit, and Kato are supposed to be the most durable, but they are also the hardest to condition. Kato is supposed to use a process that eliminates many of the air pockets during production. So far the only ones I've successfully turned have been the Sculpey III, and the Cernit. I did notice that the Kato seemed much firmer than the others, but then I don't know if it's just the clay, or my baking.

Where I'm at, Kato seems to be the cheapest of the name brands. Hobby Lobby carries it for $1.99, while the other brands seem to be more.

Oh yeah, I broke down and bought a pasta machine off eBay after several hours with one of those polycarbonate roller rods they sell in the clay section. Those can be a bear with a clay like Kato.

I also found this:
Polymer Clay Test

The information I've been able to gather so far indicates that you can mix different brands to get different effects. What I don't yet understand is how the baking temp/time works out as they are not all the same.

GoatRider

As I understand it, it's a tradeoff between ease of conditioning and the ability to hold details when reducing the canes. The stiffer the clay is, the harder it is to condition, but the better it holds details. Sculpey III is the softest, and Fimo is one of the stiffest.

I've been using Fimo. One thing that seems to make it a little easier to condition is to put it in my pocket for awhile to warm it up.

If you are wanting to try this for longer then 2 days, I would invest in a pasta machine that costs more. The one you might or will get from Hobby Lobby is Chinese doodoo. My wife's last a whole 2 days. Go on Amazon and look for the ones made in France. (I think it is France) I would tell you what my wife`s is nut the shield over the rollers has been removed. Dont go by looks becouse the chinese junk looks just like the good ones.

ZanderPommo

Ok, so what I got is Sculpty, Im in the school library right now so I'll have to wait till I get home to see if its sculpty III
The Fimo and Premo are the most expensive near me, for around 3 to 4 dollars each. Has anyone had any experience with the Michaels generic brand for $1.49?

Thanks for the info about the roller, I hope it holds up, if it doesnt I'll follow your advice and go for a better one

Top Bottom