Polycarbonate sheets for pens?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

edman2

Local Chapter Leader
I have been given some scrap polycarbonate sheets about 3/4" thick. Used for security windows. Has thin lamination layers. Can that be safely turned? I use carbide tools. Anything I should know before I give it a try? It is clear so I would have to back paint.
Thanks for any information you can share about this material.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

plantman

Freddie; Polycarbonate is a thermoplastic characterized by a high softening temperature and high impact strength. That means it takes a lot of heat to bend or melt it, and a lot of force to break it. When you add into this the lamination layers of flexable scrim, it holds it together should the plastic itself be broken. I have never turned this, but given the propertys of Polycarbonate I don't think you would have any problems with it. I would, however,wear a full face shield or safety glasses the first time I tried it. My question would be, why do you want to turn clear plastic with a tube in it? I would make a kitless pen out of it to show off the internal parts and your skills as a craftsman. The second idea I would try, is to glue snakeskin or some other material to the tubes, and slip them in the clear plastic. Drill the holes accordingly. Just my thoughts. Jim S

edman2

Local Chapter Leader
Thanks Jim. I have a retired deputy sheriff brother who thinks "bullet proof" pens would be a hit with his police buddies! :biggrin:

Freddie; Polycarbonate is a thermoplastic characterized by a high softening temperature and high impact strength. That means it takes a lot of heat to bend or melt it, and a lot of force to break it. When you add into this the lamination layers of flexable scrim, it holds it together should the plastic itself be broken. I have never turned this, but given the propertys of Polycarbonate I don't think you would have any problems with it. I would, however,wear a full face shield or safety glasses the first time I tried it. My question would be, why do you want to turn clear plastic with a tube in it? I would make a kitless pen out of it to show off the internal parts and your skills as a craftsman. The second idea I would try, is to glue snakeskin or some other material to the tubes, and slip them in the clear plastic. Drill the holes accordingly. Just my thoughts. Jim S

LagniappeRob

I used to turn quite a bit of polycarbonate for a medical r&d company... but on a metal lathe. It turns beautifully.

Edit - btw, it's also available in round rod form. Sheet is more common because of it's use for windows.

It cuts, drills, taps, and turns quite nicely.

Last edited:

edman2

Local Chapter Leader
Thanks Rob.

I used to turn quite a bit of polycarbonate for a medical r&d company... but on a metal lathe. It turns beautifully.

Edit - btw, it's also available in round rod form. Sheet is more common because of it's use for windows.

It cuts, drills, taps, and turns quite nicely.

Top Bottom